Chapter One

Two days after the kidnapping

*Sarah's POV*

I was cold.

And I was numb.

And all I remembered was Bucky.

I heard beeping sounds to my right, and I struggled just to open my eyes. Why was it so hard?

I finally opened them, only to be blinded by bright white lights. I waited for my eyes to adjust, and I looked around. There were machines everywhere, monitoring me. I was alone in the room as far as I could tell.

I tried to move my hands, only to discover that I was strapped down. I started to panic, my heart racing, and I struggled to escape. Soon I realized I was making a huge racket, so I stopped moving, and I felt cold again. Why was I so cold?

I looked down. There was a layer of frost covering my body.

Was I being frozen?

I once again struggled to escape, struggled to get to Bucky. All I could see or think about was the look in his eyes when Garrett took me away from him. The broken, bloody look of his body as he crawled, trying to reach me.

I was terrified that he was dead.

I wondered if anyone else made it out, or if they all died right there. A pile of broken heroes, cast aside by a greedy man with nothing better to do than ruin lives.

I wiggled my fingers, and the frost fell off. But the second I stopped moving them the frost came back.

What are they doing to me?

Suddenly the door came swinging open, and a man walked in. He held an unnecessarily large needle in his hand. He stabbed it into my arm, and I began to get drowsy.

"Some say the world will end in fire or ice." He told me, pausing to smirk. "And thanks to you, it will end in ice."

It was the last thing I heard before I blacked out.

--

Same day

*Bucky's POV*

My eyes snapped open, immediately taking in my surroundings.

Sarah, I thought.

I held my head in my hands, letting out a heart-wrenching scream. I screamed as loud as I could, for as long as I could.

She couldn't be gone.

Suddenly Steve came running in and knelt in front of me, saying something, but I couldn't hear him over my screams. I screamed and screamed until it didn't sound like me anymore.

Eventually, I could no longer scream.

Steve waited patiently for me to calm down, and then helped me stand on my shaky feet.

"Thanks." I mumbled. He nodded, unsure of what to do next. "Where are we?" I asked.

"In a plane, headed to a secret base. Fury, our boss basically, is taking us there." Steve said, and I frowned.

"Why are we going there? Did they get Sarah?" I asked, as walked into a room with the rest of the group, plus two new people. One was African American, and the other was a tall skinny guy with a strange suit.

Steve sighed and ran his fingers through his hair. My breath hitched in my throat and I blew up in anger.

"What?! We just got on a plane and up and left Sarah, when she needed us most?!" I yelled, capturing the attention of everyone in the room. I made sure to make eye contact with everyone, making sure they felt responsible. I was barely containing my anger at all. Steve stepped forward, trying to help, and spoke.

"Bucky, Garrett took her somewhere and we don't know where! Plus all of us were injur-"

I slammed my fist into the nearest table, cracking it right in half, and making everyone jump. I clutched at my head, yelling again and punching the wall clean through.

"Bucky, calm down!" Steve yelled, putting his hand on my arm. I shrugged it off and slowed my actions, clenching and unclenching my fists, trying to stop the anger coursing through my veins. It was always so hard to control.

I trembled with anger, wanting nothing more than to punch something.

So I turned and punched right through the nearest desk, letting out another blood-curdling scream. I went on a rampage. I tried to stop, but it was futile.

I suddenly felt a sharp stab in my shoulder, and the effects were nearly instantaneous.

I started to feel weak, and my knees gave out. I looked at Steve.

"I promised to protect her, Steve." I told him, my voice cracking in the middle of 'protect.' He looked at me, sympathy, pain and sadness hidden behind his blue eyes.

"I promised." I whispered again, before falling under the spell of the tranquilizer.

--