Chapter Ten

*Bucky's POV*

Hours later, after the pain of her forgetting me subsided a bit, I was wandering in the hallways of the huge plane. I thought of nothing, my destination unclear.

One foot in front of the other.

Step, breath. Step, breath.

My feet echoed on the linoleum floor, and I felt them stop in front of the hospital ward. It was around three in the morning, and there was a good chance she was asleep. But still. Did I really want to go in there?

My mind decided for me, and I pushed the door open with my metal arm. I quietly shut it behind me and turned, being greeted with a dark corridor. She was right ahead of me.

I walked closer to her bed. Her beautiful golden hair formed a halo around her head, and she looked at peace as she slept. It made her look like herself again. I pulled over a chair, sitting next to her, as this was the only time I could so without her pushing me away. I decided I would do whatever it takes to make her remember me, especially after everything she has done for me. She meant far too much.

Anger welled up inside me at the thought of someone torturing her. I wanted to rip them apart, make them feel the agony that they put another human being through. The worst thing is that, unlike me, they knew exactly what they were doing. They knew they were torturing her, hurting her, breaking her, yet it had no effect on them. It was sick. When I get my hands on them, they aren't going to live for long.

I sighed and hesitantly took her hand in mine. It was freezing cold because of her ice powers, and I wondered what she thought of them. I intertwined our fingers softly, trying not to wake her, but enjoying the feel of her skin against mine. It made me stronger, gave me hope that she would be fine.

Suddenly she shifted, and her eyes snapped open.

I didn't move, instead watching her reaction, which went from surprised to confused. She looked down at our hands, and frowned.

"W-why are you here?" She asked, shaking her hand from mine and sitting up. I stood up quickly.

"I wanted to see you." I told her, causing her to shake her head and hold it, as if she had a headache. I put my hand on her back in comfort, leaning in to help. I know the pain she is in right now; I experienced it for months.

"I know what it's like, you know. The pain on your head every time you remember something. I know you don't trust me, or remember who I was, but trust that I can help you." I whispered in her ear as she clutched her head. She exhaled, slowly releasing her head, and raised it to look at me. She held pain in her eyes, and I saw traces of tears. I reached out to caress her face, but she cowered away from my touch. I withdrew my hand slowly. I was so frustrated.

"I don't know if you hurt me or not, and I'm sorry if I'm not remembering something. But I'm not who you remember, so I can I please be left alone?" She asked quietly, almost desperate. I closed my eyes and nodded, standing up and walking to the door. I glanced at her one last time, opening the door, and gave her a small smile as I left the room.

She didn't return the smile.

--

*Peter's POV*

I watched as Bucky left the room, in a state of numbness. He walked with no feeling. No bounce in his step, no gleam in his eyes, no human qualities that showed emotion. I don't think I've ever seen someone shut down like that, and I wondered how he did it. Because I would love to learn how to block out emotion. It would make my job a hell of a lot easier.

I sighed and used my webs to swing up into the main living space, where I found the team all watching a screen. Fury was pointing to it, and explaining things. I walked over and listened in to what he was saying at this three A.M. surprise meeting (that I was so rudely not invited to).

"-his name is Brock, we believe. He goes by several different alias', and it is nearly impossible to track him down. We think he may be the leader of Hydra now, though we have zero information on what he has done with his life. All information on him, literally every single paper, is gone. We can't find him on any database in the world." Fury explained, sounding frustrated. There was a blurry picture of a man's back on the board, along with some reports from people who have supposedly seen him.

I for one didn't particularly care at this god awful hour, so I stayed for about twenty seconds longer before walking straight back out. No one even looked at me. Thanks, guys.

I sighed and walked down the hall, searching for my room number. Before I got there, I ended up running into Bucky, who looked like he'd seen a ghost. I immediately knew he had gone to see Sarah.

"Hey, how was she?" I asked lightly. He slowed to a stop, but didn't look at me. I found it really strange that he was almost taller than me; not many people are.

"I thought she remembered me for a second, and then she didn't. I tried to help her, and she pushed me away." Bucky told me, finally glancing at my face. I scanned for emotion, finding none.

"Bucky, we just rescued her. We have time, and once she has that time, she'll remember. It's alright." I replied, trying to comfort him. I don't know why, though. I know nothing about this man; except he was 'killed', brainwashed and trained to be a weapon. He could kill me quickly, but here I was consoling him.

"I know, Parker, but what if we don't get that time? What if we are attacked and she goes back to them because she thinks they kept her safe? What if they kidnap her again? There are too many things that could happen, too many questions. Life was simpler when I killed people." He muttered, pushing by me and continuing down the hall. I turned around.

"That uncertainty means you guys really love each other. And if you do, you two will figure it out." I called. He gave no sign that he heard me, but I know he did. He just needs to believe it.

I finished my trip back down the hall, heading towards my room that I had finally found. Once I got in there I stripped and cleaned up my dirty suit a bit, before dressing in comfortable clothes and laying down.

I fell asleep slowly, then all at once, as an official Avenger.

--

-Jordan💕