Chapter Five

*Sarah's POV*

When the guards came in, I was ready to fight with my brand new powers, and escape this hell hole.

I fought as well as I could, doing everything Bucky, Steve and Natasha had taught me, and even using my new found 'icy' powers.

But it wasn't enough.

They broke both my arms and legs just a minute or two into the fight, and even though I may heal fast, I cannot heal fast enough to overcome the horrible, excruciating pain coursing through my body when a bone breaks. I was screaming in agony, completely incapacitated, when they hauled me away. The took me to a new cell this time.

This new cell was warm, dark and damp, and had blood stains from past victims smeared along the walls. They threw me in roughly, laughing as I screamed in pain upon hitting the ground with six broken bones.

You know how the worst physical pain you can feel is supposedly a broken femur bone? Well, they are wrong. The worst physical pain is two broken femurs at the same time.

The worst mental pain?

Knowing that the one you love is so far away, and you may never see him again.

I loved Bucky Barnes. I loved him so much. He was made out to be a monster, but he wasn't- he was the most gentle, soft, caring man I've had the pleasure of knowing. He was also the bravest man I've ever known. Who else could put on a brave face everyday, even when he doesn't know anything about himself and he's being hunted down by hundreds of people that want him killed?

It's truly amazing how strong he is. I owed my life to him, because if he hadn't been in that house, I would've bled out on that floor.

And I wouldn't hesitate to give my life for him, or feel worse pain than I feel now, so he would live.

After a while the pain subsided as I healed myself, and I could once again function. I brought my knees to my chest and leaned against the wall, brushing my hair from my face, like Bucky used to do.

Everything reminds me of him. Thinking of him is the only thing keeping me alive.

I sighed and allowed myself to cry, the hot tears rolling down my dirty cheeks. I traced patterns made of frost on the floor, and I found that my new powers might actually save me, for a number of reasons. It can protect me so I'm not so weak, it can help me protect the people I love, and it can keep me sane in a time of insanity. Occupying my mind with an activity like drawing, can keep me from losing my mind. It'll help me stay rational and keep me on my toes. Fury taught me that.

I knew I would be ok for now. I just had to stay alive until they found me.

I wiped the tears off of my cheeks and stood, deciding to test my powers and see what I could really do.

I focused and decided to see if I could create ice. I closed my eyes and pictured an ice cube in my mind, and when I opened them one sat in my hand. I touched it with my finger, making sure I wasn't imagining things.

How was this possible, simply by putting chemicals into one's veins? Surely the chemical couldn't miraculously conjure ice.

Whatever Hydra was doing was bigger than itself. It was challenging the laws of physics, of nature, of life. It shouldn't have been possible, but here it was on my hand.

I whipped the hand holding the ice cube down, and ice flew from my finger tips. I frowned, staring at my hand.

I could do a lot more than I realized, and it was very intimidating. Managing my powers was going to take some time, and since I was sitting in a cell with nothing to do, I had that time.