Chapter Thirteen

*Steve's POV*

Natasha walked over to me with a smile on her face, and I wrapped her in my arms. Seeing Bucky get separated with Sarah made me remember that I needed Natasha.

She was much shorter than me, and her head stopped at my chin. Her forehead rested against my collarbone and her slim arms were around my waist.

I sighed with content, enjoying the moment. We hadn't been able to spend much time together since all of this started. Not that I expected anything different, because after all we are superheroes, living in a world that's falling apart. Our first job is to protect, and our second job is to love. Lately the first job has cancelled out the second job.

Natasha pulled away and gave me a smile, taking my hand. I let her drag me to the cafeteria area.

She went into a line and got a pasta dish, and I got the same thing, after she commented that it was the only edible thing on the plane. We carried our tray to the table like school children, unwrapping our plastic forks and digging in. It's the first time I've sat and actually eaten a whole meal since the first house we stayed in, down in North Carolina, before the very first Godzilla incident.

We ate in a comfortable silence, as there wasn't much to talk about that could be said in public. The cafeteria had cleared out by the time Natasha spoke.

"So who do you think this Brock guy is?" She asked, breaking the silence. I shrugged.

"I have no clue. I've never heard of him before." I replied. She nodded, and her eyebrows furrowed together in concentration. It was cute when she did that.

"S.H.I.E.L.D. knows everything. The fact that they don't know anything about him, except that he might exist and might be the leader of Hydra, kind of worries me. He could strike at any moment and we would never see him coming." Natasha said, frustrated. I nodded, perplexed, and put my hand over hers.

"It is definitely strange. But c'mon, Tash. We're superheroes. We'll figure it out." I told her, grinning. She grinned back.

"Let's go do something to get our mind off of this, ok?" I suggested, and she nodded, standing to throw her plate away. I followed with my plate and we threw them in the trash, walking towards the main living area. Nat picked up a card game she found on a table, and grinned at me mischievously, holding up the game. I smiled back and we took a seat at the table.

"Do you want to play a game?" Natasha asked with a smirk, referring to back in the bunker with the evil scientist/ Dr. Zolo/ computer.

I laughed.

"I do want to play a game."

--

*Bucky's POV*

Sarah stood up shakily, leaning on my metal arm for support. She hadn't walked much since being taken by Hydra, and the walking and running she did yesterday had clearly tired her out. But she was a fighter, and she demanded I help her. She didn't want to be weak.

"C'mon, Sarah. You can do it!" I encouraged, lightly pulling my arm away. She stood on her own and took a few steps, each with more strength than the last. Her muscles got used to the feeling and she walked normally around the room.

"You'll be fine in no time." I told her, and she smiled and nodded. Suddenly she faltered, and her hand shot towards the ground to catch herself. But the motion of her hand is what creates the ice powers, so ice shot from her hand and created a solid block of ice that saved her from falling. I couldn't help but laugh at her expression.

"What the hell!" She shouted, and I covered my mouth, snickering. She looked at me like I was crazy.

"Damn ice powers." She muttered, standing up and grumbling some more choice words. I laughed again and pulled her in for a hug, which she returned.

"We're safe." I told her, and she nodded against my shoulder.

"We're safe."

I pulled away and we both went back to the hospital bed.

We spent the next three hours enjoying each other's company, trying out her powers, and laughing about anything we could possibly find to laugh about, trying desperately to hang on to any joy we can find in this world.

However, like always, it was short lived.

--

A.N.

Very short and sweet chapter with both couples😍 does this chapter make sense and everything?

Also, don't worry, I'll be updating again today! Just wanted to give you guys some of what you wanted!

-Jordan💕