Chapter Twenty Five

*Bucky's POV*

The helicopter floated over the country, speeding across the U.S. towards the east coast. Tony and Natasha lay injured in the seat behind us, and Tony was completely unconscious now. But both were quickly losing blood. Crossbones was lying tied up in a spiderweb in the very back.

Steve was lying with Natasha on his lap, whispering encouragements to her, as the paramedic tried to work his magic. He had both Nat and Stark hooked up to an IV and was bandaging Natasha's wounds. Nat didn't react, not even so much as a flinch, but she had still lost a ton of blood. If we didn't get her back soon, she wouldn't make it. And by the look on Steve's face, he was well aware.

Luckily, we made it back to the base in just a little over an hour. Steve hopped off of the plane, carrying Natasha, and I helped Bruce carry Tony, who was barely breathing. His suit had been imbedded into his skin when Loki blasted him, leaving him critically injured. He needed emergency surgery, so once me and Bruce got him inside, we rushed him into the surgery room. We left the doctors alone so they could help him, and I went to help Steve and Natasha. Sarah followed.

I entered the room and was immediately greeted with a strong antiseptic smell. Natasha was laid out on the table, under anesthesia as the doctors stitched her wound closed and gave her more blood. She was in a much better shape than Tony, and hadn't lost as much blood as we thought, so she would be fine. I went and took a seat next to Steve, who looked worn out and sad.

"She's gonna be alright, Steve." I told him, and he nodded tiredly.

"I know. I'm just worried, because we've spent a ton of time in hospitals lately, surrounded by injured or dead teammates. I'm starting to think that this may not be a battle we can win." He replied gruffly, staring at the floor in a numb, thoughtful state. I closed my eyes for a second, and I felt Sarah's hand close around mine.

"I've been thinking the same thing, Steve. These two are like nothing we've ever faced. But I'm going to fight Hydra until my last breath. They took everything I had, and I'm not going to let them ever get away with it." I responded. Steve looked over at me and nodded in understanding, and he took a deep breath.

"I understand that, Buck, and I'm going to fight Hydra until my last breath as well. But what worries me is that if I die, I can't protect anyone anymore. I need to stay alive for the sake of all the people counting on me to help them. Our job, as Avengers, is to protect civilians from powerful threats. I intend to do that until the day I die." He told me, sadness and bravery shining in his old, battle-worn eyes. I nodded again.

"I know, Steve. Death scares me too. We've both already died before. But every mission we go on, we know that there is a huge chance we won't make it out. We just have to fight, for everything we love, until we can't fight anymore. It's all we can do." I said quietly, squeezing Sarah's hand as Steve smiled slightly.

"Thank you, Bucky. It means a lot." He said, glancing at me.

"Of course, Steve. I'm with you til' the end of the line, just like always."

I clapped Steve on the back, and he gave me a grateful smile as me and Sarah left the room. All the Avengers had scattered for the most part back to their rooms, so me and Sarah went and sat in the waiting chairs by the hospital ward. At least that way we'd be there if something went wrong with Stark or Romanoff.

I sat on one of the couches, gesturing for Sarah to sit next to me. She plopped down and leaned against my side.

"Bucky, do you think Tony is going to make it?" Sarah asked, turning her head to look up at me. I brushed some stray hairs from her face and thought.

"I'm really not sure. He is in pretty bad shape." I replied, unsure of what else to say. There wasn't anything that needed to be discussed- we both went through the same horrors.