Chapter 10

Remus POV

The first thing Remus did the next morning after he woke up was to run to the infirmary. He had a strong headache, mostly because he couldn't sleep at the previous night because of nightmares, but also because he was very concern.

He entered the infirmary and approached the only taken bed in the room. The sight in front of him was the most horrible thing he'd ever seen.

The sheets that used to be white were soaked with blood. On them laid a thin body, wearing hospital pyjamas pants, which were also stained in red. His stomach was covered with a thick bandage, thought you could still see parts of the deep cut it tried to hide. His chest which was bare and exposed was full of ugly scratches and wounds which started to turn blue. So were his hands which lay at the sides of his body.

Remus approached the bed, even though his mind screamed at his to run away as fast as he can. He lifted his gaze to meet the pale face of the boy, his own face. They were barely recognizable, red stains covered almost every part of the soft but wounded skin.

He felt like he was going to throw up. The sight was unbearable and he nearly fell when his head started to get dizzy. Luckily for him, a pair of hands wrapped behind him and prevented him from slipping to the floor.

"Remus," he recognized Madam Pomfrey's voice, who was the one to catch him. Remus expected her to continue her sentence, but she remained silence.

"What- what happened?" he asked, his voice shaking. "Why does he look like that? My condition was never that bad..."

"It's quite long," the nurse replied and helped him stabilize himself on his legs again. "Let's get into my office and I'll explain everything there."

Remus nodded and followed her to her office, being carful not to peek in the unconscious boy again. Remus had been to that office only once before, when he'd first spoken to the school nurse in the beginning of his first year. He still remembered the fear he'd felt when he'd known that so many people knew his secret, even if all the teachers had swore not to tell anybody. This time his fear was much worse.

Madam Pomfrey sat at a small desk and instructed him to sit on the chair in front of her. Remus sat, trying to stop his legs from shaking.

"Please, tell me he's going to be alright," he begged, his voice weak and choked.

"Unfortunately, I can't know that yet." Remus felt as if his heart had sunk to the floor. "His state is very bad, and I can't even tell if he's going to make it through next week."

Remus' eyes winded in horror and he was barley able to bring himself to ask his next question, "but why?"

Madam Pomfrey sighed and looked out the window in her little office. The sky was still a bit dark, though the sun had started to shine an hour ago.

Remus watched her with tension, not knowing what to do with himself. His eyes started to ache and he knew it won't be long until he could stop himself from crying.

Finally, after some long minutes which seemed Remus like forever, Madam Pomfrey returned to look at him and said quietly, "I'm not sure. I've never seen a drastic case like that. He has two unusually deep cuts, in his head and stomach, and they're both very serious. I'm doing the best I can, but you already know how hard it is to take care of werewolf's wounds."

Remus nodded and felt a lamp in his throat when the tears started to fall from his eyes.

"I don't know why it happened," continued the nurse, "but according to my theory, it happened because the wolf sensed a strange presence in its body, which made him get crazier than usual. It that's indeed the case, it would be extremely hard to take care of him, because your body still hasn't got used to his presence, therefore he won't start to heal himself like after your usual transformations."