Epilogue

James POV

"Lily, we need to talk." Lily raised her eyes from the book she's been reading and met the eyes of one James Potter. It was Thursday's evening, and she'd just meant to finish reading and get ready for bed. She was so tired; she could have barely fallen asleep that week. She couldn't stop thinking about poor Remus who laid in the Infirmary. She knew no one was allowed in the Hospital Wing but she had seen Sirius sneaking in more than once. She thought she knew what it had been all about, and what had really been Remus' 'sickness', but she wasn't sure.

Lily sighed and closed the book. "James, I'm a little tired. Can we talk about it in the morning?" she asked. Since their double date with Remus and Sirius, Lily and James got closer. But during the week Remus had been in the Hospital Wing they had drifted apart. She didn't know what to think about James. For years he'd been trying to impress her, and for years she'd been avoiding him, but then all of the sudden he had changed. He became generous, considerate and polite. He'd seemed smarter than usual and he'd listened to what she'd said, instead of just trying to ask her out all the time.

"No, it's important." James grabbed her hand and pulled her toward the boys' dormitory, but she stopped him.

"James, I'm not going up there with you."

James frowned and looked at her straight in the eye, "I'm not going to try to do anything. I swear. I just want to talk. Sirius is in the Hospital Wing with Remus, and Peter's asleep. I'll leave the door open and you can sit as far away from me as you want."

He seemed serious and she believed him. "Alright. But if you'll do anything I'll stop going out with you." She knew he wouldn't want to risk it.

But James' smile seemed sad and he said quietly, "I think it's going to happen anyway."

Lily followed him upstairs until they reached the seventh years' dormitory. When they got in Lily sat on Remus' unused bed, and James sat on his own, after leaving the door partially open, as he'd promised.

"So, what did you want to talk to me about?"

"You already know I love you," he said, and Lily felt herself shivering. He'd said it many times before, but now the sentence got a whole new meaning. "I'm probably going to do the most stupid mistake I could ever make, and lose any chance I ever had with you forever, but you deserve to know the truth."

Lily looked at him, confused, but James went on.

"During the week- two weeks we've been dating... I wasn't myself."

"Yeah, I've noticed." She agreed. "You really changed this year. I think it's for the best.

James shook his head, "No, that's not what I meant. I wasn't myself, it wasn't me... it's hard to explain." He ran his hand nervously through his hair. "Do you remember one Charms lesson we had about a month ago? The one when we learned about the Switch spell?" Lily nodded and James continued, "I don't know if you remember, but in that lesson, Peter sat behind me and Remus and while he was trying to cast the spell, he accidentally hit us."

Lily nodded again," I remember. They took you to the Hospital Wing, and you missed one lesson after that. But then you got back to the Common Room and everything was fine, wasn't it?"

"Yeah... not really."

Lily raised an eyebrow. "What do you mean, 'not really'? Does this have anything to do with Remus being sick?"

"Um, sort of, yeah..." replied James, and ran his hand through his hair again. "What happened is that the spell made me and Remus switch bodies, I was inside his body and he was inside mine. That's why you thought I changed, but I didn't, really. You were just going out with Remus, not with me." His gaze wandered to the floor, away from her eyes.