Let me help you

I know this one isn't a request, but I randomly thought about it and wanted to write it.

Demi POV.

About two years ago I made a drastic career change. However I still write songs for other artists in my spare time. I am now a kind of teaching assistant or a member of learning support in a school.

Today I meet the new child who I am being assigned to. I sit with them in there lessons and help them out with the work. Sometimes they don't need help academically, they just need someone to help them stay calm and help with anger or anxiety.

Last night I read the file of the girl I would be helping. Her name was Heidi and she was thirteen years old. She had just been put into a local orphanage meaning she had to move schools. After introductory tests it was concluded that she was dyslexic so I'd definitely have to help her with her work. Because of her background it's likely she will either have anger issues or anxiety. Possibly both. All I can do is try my best to help her.

When I arrived at the school I headed off to reception to meet Heidi. When I saw her I was surprised at how little she was, she looked like a shy timid little rabbit. She was stood next to her social worker, looking down at the floor and playing with bracelets on her wrists.

"Hi there, you must be Heidi, it's nice to meet you I'm miss lovato but seeing as I'm not a proper teacher you can call me Demi" I said as I greeted Heidi

"Hi" she said quietly.

"Why don't we go and get to know each other a little before the day starts?" I suggested.

"Ok"

I led her down the corridor towards the room where all the children who had a helper could hang out and go to calm down if they needed to. It was a really nice, relaxing environment. I sat down on the big sofa in the middle of the room and patted the cushion next to me for Heidi to join me.

"Are you excited to start school Hun?" I asked, trying to break the ice and get her comfortable talking to me.

"Not really" she shrugged.

"Whys that?"

"I just don't like school, I can't read or write properly. It's embarrassing" she admitted, looking down at the floor.

"Sweetheart, it's nothing to be embarrassed about. Lots of kids are in the same position as you. There's like two other people in your class who have a helper with them. You won't be the only one."

"Ok, you w-won't laugh at m-me right?" She stuttered out, fighting back tears.

"Of course not. We're in this together ok" I encouraged

She gave me a weak smile and looked at the clock. She was right, we had to get to her first lesson in five minutes.

"Come on then chick. Let's go"

We arrived at her first class and we were the first there other than the teacher. I introduced Heidi and she told us to take a seat near the front. As other students started arriving I noticed Heidi's breathing pick up slightly and her hands began to shake. I leant closer to her so nobody could hear me.

"Heidi, it's ok. Just take nice deep breaths." I whispered.

She nodded slowly at me and tried to calm her breathing.

As the teacher started the lesson, you could tell straight away that Heidi had switched off but so had half the class. She was staring blankly out of the window.

"Heidi, come on. Concentrate please" I said nicely but sternly.

"What's the point?" She whispered back