Chapter 2 - I had a Tea with Two Sloths

The shore of Windlemoore was similar to the beaches you visit in the Philippines during summer. With its white sand and beautiful scenery, it can absolutely take a place in the 7 Wonders of the World. The forest several meters away from the shore was filled with fruit-bearing trees. There were coconut trees that stood so high among the other trees. It was also filled with different grass and plants unusual to me.

I dried myself up and we headed inside the woods. The spear returned to its rod form while the other rod, well, I still don’t know what it is. Cody sat on my shoulder which I found a little bit unfair although he only weighs about less than a pound. The environment in the forest was the same to any tropical forests you know. The temperature was a little bit cool like a rain was about to fall. The tall trees and wild grasses held some droplets of water. There were also unusual flowers everywhere. The only sound you can hear was the crickets’ chirr and some birds chirping.

We were walking silently in the woods when I heard a sudden twitch behind us. I quickly turned around but there was nothing. Cody jumped away from my shoulder and hid inside a hollow tree. The rod I was holding transformed into a spear.

“Who’s there?!” I yelled while pointing the spear in different direction. The rustling of grasses moved from different places, on my left and on my right. It moved very fast around and me, and I bet that whatever it is, it is not alone.

I walked a little forward when two sloths suddenly jumped out of the tall grass. They stood on their two hind legs at about two feet. The one on the left was wearing a Greek-looking helm while the other one was wearing a horned Viking helm. They were pointing their swords on my direction, which I found so bizarre. I responded by pointing my spear towards them as well.

“Cody? What in the world are these creatures?” I yelled while locking my eyes on them.

“We are sloths, obviously.” The one at the right sarcastically said while waving its sword back and forth.

“Oh my god, you can talk?!” I yelled in amazement. I held my spear even higher now that I encountered a talking sloth. And I think I’m gonna pass out.

“Of course we can!” The sloth on the left uttered. It raised its sword higher the way that it was pointing at my face.

Cody went out of the tree. “Slugger! Bilbo!” He called. His eyes widened as if he saw a long lost friend.

The two talking sloths, who probably are Slugger and Bilbo, turned to Cody simultaneously like it was choreographed. They immediately sheathed their swords and ran towards Cody. “Cody!!!” They yelled.

Slugger and Bilbo hugged Cody. I noticed the big smile on Cody’s face and I can tell that they are really long lost friends. “It’s been a long time my friend!” Slugger, the one wearing a Viking helm, bellowed.

“Where have you been?” Bilbo followed.

“Well, I’ve been protecting my master’s journal for years.” Cody bragged.

“Amazing…” The two sloths uttered like they’ve just heard the most impressive thing on their lives.

“But Cody, why are you here?” Bilbo asked.

“Oh yes, yes.” Cody remembered. “It is because we were attacked by the witch’s minions and we needed to escape.”

“Another one who read the journal?” Slugger guessed.

“Uh-huh.”

The two sloths gave me an investigative look. “What’s his name?” Slugger asked Cody while staring at me.

“Tristan McCrow.” Cody replied shortly as he chewed a grass he just picked somewhere.

“McCrow?” The two sloths’ eyes widened. “Are you the son of Alexander?”