Chapter 6 - I Wounded Myself for a Winged Reptile

The sun rose early the next morning. The white fluffy clouds were scattered across the vast blue sky. The plants and trees seemed to dance with the calm wind. The chirping of the birds blended with the sound of flowing river nearby a perfect moment for an outing. Unfortunately for me, I didn’t wake up for an outing, but for training.

Lea got up earlier than us to prepare the rationed milk, loaves of bread, and eggs for the trainees. She was already in her blue padded armor, our required training gear. Her red hair was already washed and neatly tied in a ponytail. And honestly, I can see my mom in her because of her care for us. Darn, I miss her.

“Oh you’re awake.” She finally noticed us. She put the fried egg on the round table in front of our beds. “Come, let’s have some breakfast.”

Elethor and I first went to the river behind the tents to wash our faces then went back after. As we’re having our breakfast, we talked about different things. We shared the similarities and differences of their world from mine. They shared some history about Windlemoore and even cracked some jokes. I think I’m starting to love this place, the people, the environment, everything. Including Elethor. And well, Lea, of course. She’s just too special for me.

Elethor and I put on our padded armors. I tied a belt on my waist where the sheath of my sword will be hung. After we get prepared, we headed east, outside the guild where our school master is waiting.

Our teacher looked like a brute one. He was a black guy that stands at about six feet and five inches tall and has a bulky body. He has a tribal tattoo on his bald head and an earring on his nose. He wears a barbaric armor, hide boots, and iron gauntlets. His weapon was a huge battle axe hung on his back.

There were only about fifty of us in that place-blues, reds, and yellows mixed. “I think you’re already complete.” Our teacher started to talk. His voice was a deep one with a slight grumbling as he speaks. “I am Borin, your teacher. I came from a family of barbarians in the far east, where no civilized man dares to roam.” He said as he stares at each one of us. “And I guess I don’t have to introduce myself much further. Let us start.” Borin drew out his battle axe and stomped it on the ground. “We all know that dragon riders ruled the sky for a long time until they were defeated by the Draconians. We also know that this guild was established to train new generations of dragon riders. But you can’t be a rider if you don’t have a dragon, of course. So today, we will, I mean, you will try to acquire one.”

All of the students became excited and started arguing with each other. “But unfortunately,” Borin followed. “Not all of you here will be able to get one.”

“Why not?” One girl from the yellow asked.

“Dragons are mighty creatures.” Borin replied in a proud manner. “If they didn’t see the courage and strength inside you, then they will not choose you.”

“How will we know if it chooses us?” I interrupted.

Borin was silent for a moment and he answered, “It will try to kill you.”

The students turned silent and speechlessly stared at Borin, probably waiting for him to say that it was just a joke. But unfortunately, it wasn’t a joke.

“And if it chooses us, how will we capture it?” Another trainee from the red asked. She was a little bit pale, maybe because she was afraid or something.

“You don’t have to capture it.” Borin simply answered. “You just have to make the first bond, or the Rukhmatu.”

“Bond?” I asked again.

“Yes, the bond. You just have to wound him with your weapon. In that case, the dragon will know if you’re worthy. After wounding him, it will bow to you. The next thing you should do is to wound yourself too, and have the dragon to taste your blood. That’s where the first bond takes place.” Borin explained. “One slash will do anyway.”