Chapter 12 - I Regained an Old Friend

The dwarves are really disciplined race. While we were talking inside the hall about the plan, they were just outside, standing in attention. No one was moving. Their expressions were as vacant as a paper, their bodies were as tough as a rock, and their will was as sharp as a sword. Despite of their size, they have this burning courage and bravery to fight for what is right and I admire them because of that.

Inside the hall, a map of Windlemoore was laying on top of the stone table. We were standing around it, Arkun standing on top of a stone chair. Borin was leaning on the table, explaining what to do.

“Tristan, you said Uzina appointed her minions to attack Felhill, doesn’t she?” Borin started.

“Yes, she does.” I replied.

“So, our little friend here,” Borin turned to Arkun. “Shall defend Felhill. Heva, you’ll be fighting with them.”

“Understood.” Heva uttered shortly.

“And you, Tristan,” Borin then turned to me. “Mount Ilmara is right here.” He pointed on an image of a mountain located at the west eastern part of the map. “I suppose you already know what you will do there.”

“Uh-huh.” I simply answered. My heart was still pounding, trying to accept the fact that I will be facing Uzina alone.

“And those that remains,” Borin followed, his eyes fired up. “We shall scourge the guild and claim what is rightfully ours.”

Borin ended the briefing and we all headed outside, where the dwarven army and the other riders were waiting for orders. Their faces were a portrait of determination and their hearts were a sanctum of courage.

Borin stood on top of a rock so that he can be seen even from afar. We were standing by her back, me, Lea, Elethor, Heva, and Arkun, all in our full battle armor. The sun has already set and Healah reigned supreme in the black night sky. There were no stars above unlike those past few nights I’ve been in Windlemoore, like the stars were mourning too for the loss that we will be facing tonight.

All were silent and were in attention. Riders were standing next to their armored dragons, dwarves aligned in a platoon. Fires crackled on the bonfire beside us as tiny reddish yellow particles were rising up, accompanied by faint grey smoke.

“I will not address you as my people,” Borin started to talk. “For I am not your king. I am just an ordinary man, who was obliged to teach our future dragon riders. So now I stand before you as a fellow countryman, a fellow rider who is tired of tyranny, and death of our comrades. Now I stand before you not as your leader, but as a fellow warrior who fights for something that is yours by right, and that is freedom! Tonight we will claim what is ours. Tonight we will not just reclaim the guild. Tonight we will end Uzina’s reign and reclaim the castle that was once belong to our people! Tonight,” Borin drew his axe and raised it into the air. “We will fight for democracy and freedom!”

Borin’s red dragon landed just right beside him and blew fire on his axe. “For Normaar!” Borin yelled.

All of the riders and the dwarves were fired up and they all replied with a loud Hoo-ha.

Borin turned to me, “It’s time.”

“I know.” I replied shortly. I called Opheila and she immediately landed in front of me. I was about to mount her when Lea yelled my name. She ran directly towards me and handed me a red wristband.

“Use this. It was my father’s.” She said. “It’s a shield. It will protect you during battle.” She followed then hugged me so tight my ribs almost broke. I was surprised by it because I wasn’t expecting her to be like this, you know, some kind of sentimental or whatever. Her head was leaning on my chest while she still hugs me.