Chapter 7 - The Toads Want to Join us in our Lunch

We arrived at the gathering hall just in time to take our lunch. The trainees were chatting with each other, some were bragging their weapons, and some were just weirdly sitting still, while the bards were playing happy and lively songs for us. This time, the older trainees joined us in the table. The foods were served by the house-elves with the use of some Elvin magic. They made the trays, the plates, and the glasses float and served it to us.

Lea, Elethor and I were sitting side by side. I saw Heva on the end of the table. She was looking at me roughly.

“Does Heva have something against me?” I whispered Elethor.

“Huh? Why?” He asked.

“I feel that she’s mad at me for some reason. Why is she like that?”

“Maybe because she envies you.”

“Why would she envy me? I’m just an outsider here.”

“That’s the point.” Elethor replied as he put a chunk of meat in his mouth. “Heva came here two years ago and since then, she wasn’t treated special like they did on you. She was trained to become a dragon rider, but luck seems not on her side. Every year, she joins the new batch of trainees in the mountain of Keizaal, but still, she doesn’t acquire a dragon for herself.”

“Did she consider that maybe she’s not destined to become a dragon rider?” I uttered as I took a short and quick look at Heva. “I mean, she’s good at other things. She’s a good tactician. She can excel in the ground. She can easily come up to a tactic even though she just saw the battlefield and the enemy the first time.”

“That’s what everyone here thinks.”

Heva suddenly stood up. I thought that she would come to me and hit me with her hard as rock fists. She walked away and headed outside the hall.

“I think she heard you.” Elethor scoffed.

“Oh god please.” I chuckled.

“By the way, what did you call your dragon?” Elethor asked.

“Her name is Opheila.” I replied then I sipped an orange juice. “And she named herself.”

“She named herself?” Lea followed.

I turned to Lea and answered, “Yes she did. Why?”

“Well, normally, the rider names his dragon.” Lea answered.

“Oh, she told me that her name is Opheila.” I wondered. “So I just call her that.”

“Opheila is a white dragon.” Elethor broke in. “And white and silver dragons came from a noble dragon family. They don’t want to be named by their riders, instead, they name theirselves.”

“Oh, that was just cool. Opheila is a noble dragon.” I chuckled. “Hey Elethor, you ride your dragon like you’ve been doing it a long time.”

Elethor seemed to blush. “Well, it’s not really like that.” He insisted. “My dragon, Malirth, told me that his father was the dragon of my father. So their bond runs in both our bloods. That’s why I didn’t have to wound him to make the first bond.”

“That was amazing.” I said. “I never thought that can be possible.”

“So do I.” Elethor said. All three of us giggled.

“How about you, Lea, what do you call your dragon?” I turned to Lea.

“She’s Lenora.” Lea smiled cutely.

“That’s a cute name.” I replied.

We were having our lunch when someone burst inside the gathering hall. He was catching his breath when he yelled. “We are under attack!”