Chapter 8 - Looks can be Deceiving

Opheila brought me on a mountain somewhere in the vast land of Windlemoore. It was high enough to see the river between the trees below us. I can see another mountain peak just in front of me. The billowing clouds were in my reach, almost as well as the sky. The calm wind gently rubbed my skin and the sunlight softly pierced my skin. I sat on a rock near the mountain edge while Opheila sat on the lower rock, facing me.

What’s the problem, Tristan? She asked.

“Well, the guild. There’s something wrong in the guild.” I said.

What problem?

“Heva. She’s been accused of something we really aren’t sure she’s done.”

Hmm… Opheila uttered simply like she’s thinking of something we can do.

“Augustus recklessly accused her to be the witch’s spy.” I sadly stated. “Even though he doesn’t have enough evidences.”

And what do you want to do? Heva calmly asked.

“I don’t know, Opheila.” I answered. “I want to clean her name but I don’t know how.”

And why would you do that? She’s treating you badly. Why would you want to help her?

“I know she’s been rough with me. But it doesn’t mean that I must not help her.” I followed. “My dad told me to be righteous, and I know that helping her is the right thing.”

We both turned quiet for a moment.

You really deserve to be a dragon rider, Tristan. I saw the burning courage and the sense of being noble inside you, that’s why I chose you. Opheila told me as she raised her head a little bit high. So, why don’t you go and look for her?

“I don’t know where to look.”

Ride me. Opheila said.

I climbed up on Opheila’s back. She extended her wings and prepared to fly.

Hold on tight. She said. I wasn’t holding tight on the saddle’s handle when she leaped onto the cliff. She flew so fast that my hair stayed brushed up even though I didn’t brush it. We hover above the trees thick with green leaves and ripe fruits. Opheila lowered her flight so that her claws were touching the river. Do you want to see what I see? She offered.

“what?”

Draak’visie. Opheila uttered. Say it.

“Draak’visie.” I followed. After saying that word, my visions immediately changed. It was enhanced like an HD film. I see the river, the mountains, and the trees clearer, as if my eyes were an eagle’s eye. “Whoa! What happened?” I asked in amazement.

Draak’visie, or the Dragon’s eye. Opheila said. It’s a spell that only dragon rider can cast. It borrows the vision of a dragon so that the rider can see more.

“Well, do you still have your sight?” I asked in curiosity.

Of course, Tristan. Opheila chuckled. Now try focusing on a specific place.

I quickly followed what Opheila said. From above, I stared at the woods for several seconds, with all of my attention on that place. After about ten seconds, my vision zoomed like there was a built-in telescope in my eyes. My vision on the woods became closer and now, I can see not only the leaves of the trees, but also the animals running inside the forest.

“Whoa! That was amazing!” I exclaimed. I almost fell down because of my amazement. “I can see everything happening in the forest. Do you see it this way too, Opheila?”