Chapter 9 - We Looked for a New Shelter

We successfully escaped the guild, the three of us, Lea, Elethor, and me, and twenty six other riders, several infantry trainees, and some citizens. Sad to say, there were also some trainees who chose to stay and serve Ezra and the witch, most of them came from the yellow.

Borin appeared in front of us, together with three other middle-aged riders, Jerad, Borom, and Silva. They were supposed to be our teachers in Dragon combat and Weapon mastery if Augustus wasn’t poisoned.

“What happened?” Borin asked. “Where are you all going?”

“They attacked us.” I uttered. “We have nowhere to go.”

“What? Who attacked you?” Borin exclaimed.

“The witch.” Lea said. Her eyes were still red from crying.

 “But where is Augustus?” Borin asked in confusion. “Why isn’t he with you?”

“He’s been poisoned.” I shortly answered.

“Poisoned?!” Borin exclaimed. “Who would dare poison him?”

 “Ezra,” Elethor answered. “He’s the spy. He always has been the spy.”

Borin was silent for a moment. I can’t blame him. The events happened so fast. Even I would be stunned for a moment, or perhaps an hour of confusion. “Holy gods.” Borin muttered. “Follow me. It’s not safe here anymore.”

We continued flying with our dragons and went south, heading straight to a mountain where I saw Heva. We flew around it to arrive at a ruined fort, just at the back of a small town, which probably was Felhill, the town Heva mentioned.

We landed at the fort’s open ground. I looked around and I noticed that it has still the sense of defense. The walls were a little bit destructed but can still be renovated. The main hall was still okay, and it can still hold a maximum of about fifty to sixty people. The watch tower was destroyed, as well as the ballista mounted on top of it.

“It’s better to camp here.” Borin said as he dismounted his dragon. “It’s far from the guild and the castle. Only few people knew this fort.”

“What are we gonna do now?” Lea asked.

“For now, we must gather resources.” Borin instructed. “Martom, Hamond, Vyncent, and Malia, scout the area. Find us a source of food, and water. Don’t use your dragons, it’s not safe.”

“Yes, sir.” The four trainees responded in chorus.

Borin turned to us. “The three of you, follow me.”

Lea, Elethor, Borin, and I went inside the hall while Martom and his team went out scouting. The inside of the hall was also ruined, a collapsed stone long table was in the middle, with five stone chairs on both sides.

Borin sat on the collapsed table. “You said Ezra is the spy. Are you sure about it?”

“Yes, Borin.” Lea replied. “He told us everything. He said…”

“He said what?” Borin asked.

“His father,” Elethor interrupted. “His father is Elduin.”

“Elduin?!” Borin exclaimed, his face darkened.

“Wait, what’s going on?” I broke in. “Who is Elduin?”

“Elduin was the best rider of the dragonarmy before the war fifteen years ago.” Borin started. “He has been the most admired rider in Normaar, the ancient name of what you call Windlemoore. Together with his dragon, they can be everything. They can be the worst nightmare of mankind.”