Chapter 10

Henry's POV

I was leaning against the opening of the large glass doors that led to the small backyard of the Heathers' home.

A cold breeze blew on my face. Dark clouds were starting to loom in the sky. It was going to rain soon. Mr and Mrs Heather were still out in town. They must probably be wondering what was going on here.

Anna had not come down yet. I was starting to grow more anxious and impatient with every passing second. I was a nervous wreck. Anna still owed me an explanation as to why she had left all of us abruptly. She had promised that she would let me know after comforting Alyssa.

As much as I wanted to know everything from Anna, I hate to admit that I wanted to ensure that Alyssa was fine. She wasn't meant to get involved in all of this.

I could still vividly remember the way she looked at me with such disgust and hatred. We had fought earlier but she never looked at me like this before.

Even when she was upset with me, I could still feel the love she had for me. It was palpable. I couldn't deny it but I chose to blatantly ignore it. Because, my heart would never allow another woman into it besides Anna.

Even after Anna left and came back, I still loved her. Even after knowing that she had brain tumour, I wanted to be with her. It didn't matter what she did or what happened to her, I was ready to accept her back into my life.

Life without Anna would mean nothing to me. I had to persuade her into starting our relationship afresh. She had been the one to force me into this loveless marriage with Alyssa.

But, I didn't want to be in it any longer. I had to put an end to this. I will ensure Anna gets the best medical treatment available as soon as she can. I just wanted to put all of this behind and be with Anna again.

At that moment, I heard faint footsteps coming down the stairs and I turned around to see Anna slowly making her way towards me. She looked so frail. She took small steps to reach to where I was.

It was apparent that she was extremely weak and exhausted. If she carried on like this, I knew that her chances of survival would be slim. I hope she had been on medications while she was away.

Even then, I knew Anna very well. She was very stubborn. She wanted things her own way. Convincing her to do something she didn't like was never easy. Yet, I still adored that about her. She was headstrong, confident and resilient. She would never stop until she achieved her goals.

When she reached me, I could't help but pull her into a tight hug. She gasped in surprise as our bodies collided with one another.

She had lost so much of weight. I could feel how fragile she had come. It broke my heart. I hugged her even more tighter.

I had to restrain myself from showing any sort of affection for Anna when her parents and Alyssa were around.

Now that no one was here, I could finally by myself with her.

"I missed you so much Anna.", I buried my neck in the crook of her neck while breathing in her unique scent.

"Me too, Henry.", Anna whispered in my ear as her hands stroked my back gently.

I pulled away to look at her face. Her face was gaunt looking, her cheeks sunken in and lacklustre. Nevertheless, she still looked beautiful.

I stroked her cheek with the back of my hand as her eyes bore into mine.

My eyes landed on her lips and her eyes widened when she knew what I was about to do.

As I bent down to place my lips on her, she immediately took a step back.