Chapter 37

Alyssa's POV

A wave of trepidation washed over me as I realised who was heading down the stairs.

I wasn't prepared to face Liam, not after reading the letter.

What kind of sick game was this?

Did Anna write another letter to scare me or was she telling the truth?

I had no time to react before Liam came in full sight.

His eyes landed on me first then briefly flickered to the letter that was on the floor.

"So...I see you have read the letter.", he sauntered his way to me and I found myself stepping back unconciously.

He stopped in his tracks and a knowing smirk appeared on his lips.

His entire demeanour had changed in an instant. Standing before me was not the cheery and warm Liam that I had grown accustomed to. He was cold, calculating and had streak of arrogance surrounding him.

"This letter....you left it here, didn't you?", my voice quivered.

His smile broadened in response to my question.

"Did you...did you read the letter?", I forced myself to speak up even though I struggled to do so.

"Yes, of course I did.", he rolled his eyes in an exaggerated fashion.

"Is it true? You were the one Anna wrote about...not Henry? So, was the other letter fake? Did you forge the other one? You switched your name with Henry's right?", I already knew the answer to my questions but I had to hear it from him myself.

"Ding ding ding...you hit the jackpot.", he put his finger up in the air and mimicked the motion of hitting a bell.

It felt like I had been punched in the gut. It was him all along.

How could I have not known all this while? Henry's words kept ringing in my ears.

I should have been wary about Liam and stayed away from him. It was a little too late for that now.

"I don't understand....why...why did you...", I stuttered, at a loss for words. I couldn't comprehend what was going on.

"Alyssa...you never understand anything. That's the problem. You're so damn gullible and f*ucking stupid.", he sighed loudly and shook his head in contrived disappointment.

I flinched at his harsh words but I tried to keep a calm facade before him.

"I bet you want to know why I did all of this? Don't you Alyssa?", he began to pace back and forth before me.

I despised the way my name rolled of his tongue and how he enunciated it with such malice. The irony of it all...he was the very same person that I trusted and confided in the most. Now, I couldn't bare to be around him.

I remained silent. I was like a deer caught off guard by approaching car headlights.

Perspiration beaded from my forehead down to the side of my face. My whole body was sleak with sweat. I was rooted to the ground. I was petrified.

"Answer me you f*ucking b*tch!", he growled menancingly. I shuddered at his threatening words. Without any warning, he pounced towards me and grabbed my chin with great force.

"I told you answer me! Don't you want to know who I am? Huh?", his hold on my chin tightened as he forced to look up into his eyes. I refused to cry to infront of him. I didn't want to give him the satisfaction that I feared him. No....I wasn't going to let him win. Not after what he did to my sister or whatever he planned to do to me. If he was going to tell the truth then so be it.