Chapter 17

Alyssa's POV

"My poor baby...I was so scared.", Mom was crying when both Henry and I entered the room.

She was seated next to Anna's bed and holding her hand tighlty while Dad was seated at the opposite side.

"Mom, I'm okay now. I'm not going anywhere.", Anna looked at her in an adoring manner.

Mom wiped away her tears roughly when she realised that we were in the room. Dad gestured for us to come forward. That was when Anna's attention shifted to both of us. She was dressed in a baby pink hospital robe and had an IV drip attached to one of her arm. She looked even more frail and pale than before. Her eyes widened at the sight of us, as though she did not expect the both of us to visit her. Her face was ridden with guilt. She smiled at us feebly as we walked over to the foot of her bed.

"How are you feeling now, Anna?", Henry asked her.

"Yeah..I'm fine now.", she replied, breifly locking eyes with Henry before averting her gaze to me.

I didn't know what to say. I just stood there staring at her. My mind had gone blank. Knowing that your own sister hates you and did everything she could to make my life a living hell was not something I could simply forget and move on.

Yet here I was, visiting her in the hospital when I could have chosen not to. I did care for her but a part of me was also conflicted. I knew that I could never be normal with her. I knew that my paranoid self would worry being around her, fearing if she had an ulterior motive behind her every action.

Then again, it killed me inside that I would be ruining the only chance of rebuilding our relationship and starting afresh. I was torn apart.

That was when I felt Henry's shoulder nudge mine in the slightest way possible, prompting me to speak. He was standing next to me and too close that our shoulders were still touching each other.

"How..how are you Anna?", my voice quivered as I spoke out. I couldn't think of anything else to ask.

"I'm better now. Thank you for coming to visit me, both of you. It means alot.", Anna smiled sweetly at both Henry and myself. It was one of few times I have seen her smile at me like that. I remembered that once Mom showed me a picture of Anna and me seated on the porch of our house. Anna was hugging me from the side and grinning down at me while I smiled for the picture. Whenever I felt sad of how Anna treated me when I was younger, I would take out that picture and look at it. And I would pray one day she would look at me the same way. Now, seeing her gaze at me with sisterly affection, I felt overwhelmed. I swallowed my emotions and composed myself.

"We're just glad you're okay baby. We were very worried. Don't you dare move alone without calling for one of us next time. Do you hear me?", Mom chided her but there was a hint of affection hidden in her harsh words.

"Yes Mom.", Anna sighed loudly and rolled her eyes playfully. Mom, Dad and Henry chuckled at her reaction while I stood there awkwardly.

It wasn't long before I realised that almost an hour had gone. Everyone including Henry were talking to each other like they were old buddies. Conversely, I kept quiet for the most part listening to their chatter. They were sharing stories about how Anna used to be like as a child, including embarassing stories of myself that I wish Mom and Dad would have shut up about. Henry listened attentively to them and laughed at me teasingly. I also observed how Anna and Henry were passing glances at each other from time to time. Henry seemed more relaxed now than before. I guess he was relieved that Anna was fine. When he looked at her, I didn't see hate in his eyes. What was I doing? I shouldn't even care how he looks at her. He said it himself. He is not mine and never will be.

"Anna darling, is it okay if your Mom and I head home for a while and come back shortly? We would like to shower and sort some things out at home. We will be back in a blink of an eye.", Dad said, interuppting their ongoing conversation.

"Alyssa, do you mind if Henry and yourself just stay here with Anna for another hour or so. We will be back as soon as we can and both of you can leave afterwards.", Mom smiled warmly at Henry and me.

"Sure, Alyssa and I will be here with Anna. Don't worry take your time.", Henry agreed almost immediately.

He was always respectful when it came to my parents. He never did anything to earn their disrepect. I feared that would change if they learnt about his and Anna's relationship. They would be absolutely heartbroken that they had been lied to all this while. The faith and trust they had in both Henry and Anna would be shattered. Not only them but also me for knowing the truth and hiding it from them. They should never know about this. I had to make sure Henry and Anna did the same too. At least parents could be happy without being embroiled in this mess.

"Alright, we shall get going then. See you soon dear.", Mom and Dad both placed soft kisses on Anna's cheeks and left the room alone with just the three of us. Henry and I were seated next to each other and close to the Anna's bed. The silence in the room was defeaning It was in that exact moment when my stomach growled loudly. Both Anna and Henry laughed at the same time.

"You must be hungry. I'm sorry we should have eaten something before coming here.", Henry who was seated next to me looked at me apologetically.

"You should get something to eat. There is a cafeteria around the corner.", Anna suggested.

I was really hungry and I couldn't wait any longer. And, I knew if I didn't go then Henry would. That would mean I would be all alone with Anna. I wasn't exactly ready to have a heart to heart conversation with her

"Alright I will go grab some food.", I stood up and Henry did the same.

"I will come with you.", he offered.

"No, its ok. Its just nearby. Someone has to stay with Anna. You stay here with her. I will be right back.", I convinced him to stay. He obliged without much protest and I left the room.

The cafeteria was not that crowded and I was able to pack the three of us some lunch fairly quick. I headed back to the room and opened the door.

"Henry...", I gasped loudly as the lunch bag in my hand slid from the grasp of my hand and dropped to the floor.

Tears welled up in my eyes. I stood frozen, unable to comprehend what I had just seen.

"Alyssa, I can explain.", Henry pulled away from Anna and wiped his lips roughly with the back of his hand. Anna sat up in her bed with guilt written all over her face.

Henry rushed to me and stood before me. All my pent up rage boiled to the surface in that instant.

Before he could say anything further, my hand landed hard across his cheek. With that, I ran away from there as fast as I could manage.

Hi guys! I'm terribly sorry for the late update. Hope this chapter makes up for that. And omg, Henry kissed Anna!!! Poor Alyssa :( But, don't worry, the story is about to get more interesting. So stay tuned. Will do my best to update the next chapter soon.  

As always, do leave a like and comment. It helps alot. Thanks for reading bye :) <3