Episode 18

Near but Far from Sight and Tangibility

Four Months Later

~August 25, 2007~

Inside an edifice at the top floor, there was an office for the chairman of the company. The lights were off, but the glow of the other companies and shops were illuminating its time of night. Said chairman was sitting in his special seat, staring outside the enormous glass window in front of him. A man with obsidian black hair and flint eyes sighed with irritation in his voice; the suit he wore was vertical striped soot in color with an amber tie over a white dress shirt; he wore charcoal gray socks and metal black dress shoes with thin, rust brown shoe laces. His hair was down, so he had a full set of bangs long enough to cover a portion of his eyes and the sides of his face, making him quite attractive for his appearance which did not have facial hair. His hands were overlapped/clasped superior to his thighs, and he was certainly not in a good mood that night. His eyes narrowed and his contemn gave him the will to speak.

"Almost everything I've attempted so far has failed," the man muttered. "Many of my men have been captured and killed this year. Only a few of them, including myself remain. I was also unable to get to Sayuri Mitsuyoshi because of these diversions, yet I haven't a clue as to how my plans have been declining from success. Who on Earth is putting a stop to them? I need to find out soon. Her existence depends on the downfall of the owner of this sword at all costs, as well as the rest of the Black Foxes and my daughter-in-law. Or, should I say: daughters-in-law? Thus, the balance of Neon will fall and the only the world of Humans shall remain." He gazed down toward his left arm and a familiar long sword manifested out of nowhere like magic. A sword with a hilt with the shape of the number three, and its beauty displayed quite a few shades of brown. It wasn't every day that very color was known to be gorgeous and attractive in more than one way, but the sword alone was proof of a foreign aesthetic. A devilish smirk spread onto his exquisite visage. "Hehehe... Now, what should I use you for next? I've already altered this world to how I see fit. Everything and everyone that've been erased were quite... inferior to me, should I say? Yet the result of my actions and desires have been foiled by someone I don't know. It could be a group of fighters rather than a single person, but it doesn't matter as long as I can satisfy her. Hahaha. Ahahaha!"

The maniacal laughter that escaped from the man's mouth evidently represented his evil-minded plans and way of thinking, yet there was a striking tone to it. It may have sounded familiar and nostalgic, as if it had been inherited by someone. Could there have been someone like him—someone who resembled and was like an attractive man like he was, despite his age? Perhaps so, but who could possibly share this insane (?) man's characteristics?

... How frustrating it must have been to be almost a perfect copy of someone. Howbeit it was did not matter. After all, the next thing the man knew, a male voice spoke to him from the sword.

You may have used my powers to rewrite this world into its current form, but you won't get away with what you've done. She'll suffer even if you try to destroy what's left of the world you were born in. The greed and obsession you have for her salvation isn't going to help her live any further than the time she has left. Your own feelings towards her will only supply her with surviving in the universe until her last moments. Don't you know that, you foolish man? In the end, you'll just go through a pain worse than... No. I don't need to say it when you've already become the person you are today. You'll be the one to lose against fate, anyway. It's ironic how even her father lost to it. And her mother went through the same thing many, many years ago in spite of the curse placed on the magicians. Don't get your hopes up. You've already lost the match.