Healing [Jean Kirschstein Ficlet] Part Three

Jean stood before the funeral pyre along with the rest of his friends, his comrades. Those that were still alive, anyways. A withdrawn expression blanketed his features as he listened partially to the conversations going on around him.

[Name] was partaking in none of them, standing silently on the other side of the fire. Even though Jean couldn't see her due to the high rise of the flames, he was extremely aware that she was there. Her actions, his actions, from just the night before were still heavy on his mind.

Jean had gone over board, had let his bitterness, anger and sadness out all in that one short statement to her. He didn't know why he had reacted that way; perhaps it was because he wished she loved him in the way that she had loved Marco. Thinking that automatically caused him to rebuke it in his own mind; why would he want her affections? Forming any sort of bond, friendship, relationship, lovers... They would all be torn apart in the end anyways, right?

Sighing, he gathered his courage and paced around the fire. When [Name] finally came into view, he could feel himself both relaxing and tensing up at the same time. He didn't doubt that she was still angry at him for last night's events, but Jean decided he should try anyways. Besides, he wanted to see if she still wanted to join the Survey Corps or if she had changed her mind, like he had.

The distinct sound of someone approaching had [Name] lifting her head, her [color] gaze meeting Jean's own light brown one. The fire caused shadows to dance across her [skin], to which Jean's eyes were easily drawn.

When the girl suddenly scowled, Jean sighed inwardly, but continued his advance until he was standing next to her, moving his gaze to the pyre on front of them.

Silence quickly enveloped the two, nothing but the sound of the flames and the others chatter reaching their ears. Jean was waiting patiently for [Name] to talk, if she decided to speak to him at all, but he knew he wouldn't be able to wait long.

As the minutes slowly crept by, Jean found himself becoming more and more impatient until, finally, he opened his mouth to speak.

“[Name]-”

“I'm sorry Jean,” [Name] rushed out, keeping her [color] gaze averted from his own, now curious, one.

Sorry? What could she possibly be saying sorry for? Jean had been in the wrong last night; he had let his negative emotions cloud his judgment and he had acted irrationally. But yet, [Name] was the one apologizing?

“I don't understand. Why are you bothering to apologize?” Jean asked curiously.

“Because... I acted recklessly last night. I didn't mean to lash out at you. It's just that... Everything has been so hard these past few days. And hearing those words coming out of your mouth... I don't want you thinking that, Jean. Yes, I loved Marco, but not the way that you think,” [Name] stated softly, continuing to stare down at the ground to avoid his gaze.

Jean could only listen in shock; she felt that she was in the wrong? And... Jean knew that he shouldn't be jumping to conclusions, but he just couldn't help it right now. Why would she not want him thinking that she loved Marco? Why else would it matter to her, unless the fact was, that she loved Jean instead?

However, Jean decided against stating anything along those lines. He didn't want [Name] angry at him all over again. Instead, he was shocked to find himself moving to wrap his arms around the girl like he had the day he told her Marco was dead.

[Name] seemed just as shocked, but instead of pulling away, she actually moved closer. The feeling of her wrapping her arms around his waist and pressing her face against his chest. The feeling of tears soaking through the material of his shirt.

Jean couldn't stand it. He hid his face in her hair and cried with her. Tonight, he didn't care who saw him or what they thought of him. He was helping [Name] heal; they would heal together.