The Light

Modern day

"Ember, it's not a great neighborhood. Let Scott drive you home." Looking at the small built girl, it was hard to imagine that she was actually twenty years old.

"I'll be fine, Midge. Everyone in the neighborhood knows me. Even the gang members leave me alone. I guess my mom had something to do with that. She babysat and fed so much of this place. The respect they have for her seems to have spilled over to me. For which I am thankful for." Ember's eyes became a little misty talking about her mom. After all, she had only been gone three months. "No, Midge, I'll be fine. It's only four blocks. Besides, I have to stop at Popov's to pick up a few things. I appreciate it though." Ember smiled as she left the bakery where she worked. The evening was nice, the weather balmy and warm, considering it was late spring.

Entering into the little Russian corner store, she quickly gathered her items and went to pay. When she reached the counter, Mr. Popov smiled at her and asked her how she was doing. She nodded and replied that she was doing good. As she was handing her money to the old man, a shadow fell over her. Turning, Ember looked up, way up. Jeez, this guy was huge. Tall, at least 6'5, with a heavily muscled frame. He reminded her more of a warrior from the Dark or Middle Ages than a modern man. Something about the man screamed danger and the hair on the back of her neck stood up on end. At the same time, her heart yearned for him. For his touch, his kiss.

Ember shook herself. She grabbed her bags and fled the store, not understanding her reaction to the large man. As she ran out the door, she turned to look back. He was still where she left him, standing by the register watching her with black, fathomless eyes so intense her skin prickled like he was actually caressing her. Her heart leaping in her chest, she turned and ran the rest of the way home. Running in, she bolted her door and closed all of her curtains and locked all of her windows. Her racing heart had not slowed completely down yet. But it was slowing. Realizing how silly she was, she began to laugh at herself. Remembering the thought that the man was indeed very dangerous, she shook her head.

Back at the store, Mikhail looked at the old man and cocked one brow in question.

"She's so very innocent, My Lord. A gentle soul, for sure. Even the hardest of criminals leave her be. It's as if her very innocence is what protects her. She has lived in this area for as long as I can remember. Her mother was a sweet soul as well. She was killed by a criminal so ugly, yet even as she wasted away, her thoughts were always for others. Her daughter is much like her. She is like a daughter to me. My affection for her is such. Even if it angers you, My Lord, I must know your intentions for the young one." Mr. Popov was aware that he could be signing his death warrant, but he would do his best to look after the girl. If only from a distance.

Mikhail looked down at the stooped old man. He could hear how fast his heart was beating in his fear. Yet, he still thought of the girl and not his own life. "This human means that much to you, Alexandrov? That you would risk you own life to protect her?"

"Yes. Her mama was the love of my life and that little girl should have been my daughter. But, it was not meant to be. Her heart was taken by another and she never looked my way. I never married. Having no children, I will probably leave the store to her daughter, Ember. Many others in this neighborhood will tell you that they are just as protective of her."

As Mikhail digested this information, he said his goodbyes and climbed on his bike. A large black beast with a deep throaty sounding engine that declared its power. Recalling the assault on his senses when she entered the store, he felt his body harden. Knowing that only his beloved would easy him, he chose to try to ignore it. Thinking about her however, his body had other ideas. In his mind, he saw her, Ember. Her name was Ember. How appropriate. Because just the thought of her set him on fire with desire. She was small, slightly built, that he would have to temper his great strength, so he wouldn't harm her. Her hair was so bright red, her face covered in freckles, her eyes a startling bright blue. her waist was so small that if he used both hands to wrap around it, his fingers would overlap. Her legs though, her legs seemed long in proportion to her body. He hissed and then growled as his body hardened to the point of pain when he thought about those legs wrapped around his waist while he was buried deep in her.

Realizing that sunrise was coming in another hour, he headed to his estate where he would sleep in protection.