eight

— getting closer

minseo's lips curved into a smile as she waved at seungmin who was about to enter the coffee shop, he nodded at her and also gave her a smile in return. she walked up to him and tapped his shoulder, seungmin paused at what he was doing and turned around to look at her.

"today's my first day." she said as she fidgeted with her finger and looked at ground. the older teen let out a chuckle and patted her shoulder.

"goodluck." he then winked at his former co-worker, minseo gave him a thumbs up in return. "i'll surely visit here!" she said one last time before walking away to get to her new job as an assistant in a clinic.

"you better!" he shouted at her and entered the shop. she was happy that they were finally okay, that he was able to look at her in the eye and smile at her once again. she was glad that he finally forgave her. seungmin has a special place in her heart, despite him being a pain in the head sometimes, he was a sweet boy and has a soft heart. that's why she can't help but get worried everytime she sees him with bruises on his face or body.

he deserved better than that, she knew his story but she didn't befriended him just because she pitied him. it was more than that. something about him made minseo feel that she needed to be there with him, that he needed someone to lean on and that his life isn't that cruel. that he still has a family.

breathing in and out, minseo fixed her collar and adjusted her skirt before opening the door to the clinic. there, a woman sat on her chair while she writes something on a piece of paper. the woman notice her presence and she put down her pen and removed her glasses.

she gently smiled at the girl and stood up to greet her properly. minseo bowed as she stopped in front of her.

"i was the one who you accepted as an assistant in your clinic ma'am. my name is bang minseo."

"oh right! i'm ms. lee hyejin. please feel free to call me whatever you like." somehow, the name 'hyejin' reminded her of a particular someone— hwang hyunjin. she mentally chuckled at the thought of him.

shaking the thought off her head, she looked up at her and gave her a gentle smile. customers started coming to the clinic when the clock striked 9 am. there were many since ms. lee hyejin was known as a well-skilled pediatrician in their town. and minseo admired her for she looked at her customers with genuine concern.

minseo spent her day assisting her by getting the things she needed and the prescribed medicines that the people needed. her clinic was full of medicines, helping people was really her passion. minseo can see it just by looking at her eyes.

"doctor, will i able to eat ice cream again when i eat my medicines?" a young boy asked hyejin with his lips slightly pouted and his hair tousled. ms. lee chuckled as she ruffled the boy's hair.

"of course! be a good boy okay?" the boy nodded enthusiastically and held her hand. "for someone beautiful as you ms. doctor, i will!" he then chuckled.

"you remind me of my son." minseo's eyes widened when she heard that. so she was married? then why does she label herself as a "ms."?

"can i play with him doctor?" ms. lee put her index finger on her chin and looked up, as if she was thinking of what to answer and was just teasing the boy.

"soon!" the boy cheered for he was gonna make a new friend again. ms. lee waved at him as he walked his way out of the clinic with his sister. minseo smiled at the sight because it reminded her of her and yedam when they were still young. her parents were still alive then.

the last customer for the day left the clinic, ms. lee wiped the sweat off her forehead and sat on her chair. minseo went to the other side of the room to properly arranged the medicines and clean the dust off. it was already 9 pm in the evening and she was still there. it was okay though, her heart felt warm because she was able to help other people alongside ms. hyejin.

the door opened but minseo didn't bother turning around for she was too occupied on what she was doing. she heard ms. lee gasped and out of the corner of her eyes, she saw her stood up and walked towards the person who has entered.

"what are you doing here hyunjin?" minseo's eyes widened at the mention of his name. slowly turning around, she saw him, ms. lee was hugging him but he didn't even bother hugging her back. his gaze stared intensely at minseo.

ms. lee broke the hug and looked and asked him once again. "what are you doing here son?" minseo's mouth went agaped when she heard it. so ms. lee hyejin was his mother? no wonder they had similarities. but why was hyejin's last name lee? and hyunjin was hwang?

"is his parents perhaps— divorced?" she thought. she wasn't planning on asking him that yet, he might get mad at her for meddling with his past and life. he'll tell her something if he was ready.

"i— uh i'm gonna buy some medicines. i'll go after." minseo furrowed her eyebrows. why did he needed medicines? is he sick? was he in pain? she can't help but get worried for he can get reckless at times. she knew because of the bruises that lingered on his face at times everytime they see each other.

hyunjin walked towards her and minseo moved to the side to let him get the medicines he needed.

"didn't i tell you to smile twice as wide when we see each other again?" minseo pouted at the sound of his voice. it was a playful one and he was biting his lip to stop himself from laughing out loud. ms. lee was obviously confused at what was happening in front of her.

hyunjin left his money on top of the table and said "i'll go now, bye mom." his eyes found its way to the younger girl inside the room and waved at her with a teasing smile on his face.

"i'll see you around minseo!" she nodded at her words. when he left, she looked at his mother and bowed. sighing, ms. lee asked her "you knew each other?"

"i— yes ma'am." she said, her head still bowed.

"you know, i haven't seen him smile like that for a long while." minseo met her eyes, hyejin was smiling at her and she quickly looked away. she was smiling but her eyes were a mixture of bitterness and happiness.

"please do take care of him minseo." the doctor took a deep breath while minseo waited for what she was gonna say next.

"because i failed to do so."

a/n:
#WELCOMEBACKSEUNGMIN
#HYUNJINSMOMDEBUTATTHISSTORYYAY
#ANGSTISCOMINGVERYSOON