nine

— his story

pretending that he was okay has been hard for the past few days

pretending that he was okay has been hard for the past few days. hyunjin would only stare blankly at his phone that continued to ring not even bothering to look at the one who was calling. he would just wait until the ringing stopped. he was confused with himself. he was already okay right? but after that encounter with his mom at the clinic, she showed her desperation and asked for his forgiveness.

vivid memories last night came into his mind. he could remember her crying her heart out as she kneeled in front of him and apologize for the things she failed to do within those years. he remembered himself looking away and pretending that he couldn't hear her cries then walked away.

he love her but he still can't find the courage to forgive her. afterall it's been years since she stopped looking and treating him as her own child. ever since that incident happened, he was all alone. she wasn't there when he cried himself to sleep, she wasn't there when those kids from his school bullied him and told him that he doesn't have a family. she wasn't there when his lips were bleeding and his body was aching all over and to think that his mother was a doctor who treats other kids with love and care but she can't even do that to her own son.

she wasn't there when he was drowning on his own misery.

hyunjin pressed his lips together as he looked at the ceiling and blink the tears away that was brimming at the corner of his eyes. he thought that he was already used to the pain, he thought that he was finally okay but being okay is different from lying to himself that he is.

and the truth was finally revealed, hwang hyunjin wasn't okay. all the painful memories from his past came to haunt him back stronger than ever. he remembered the smiles that his sister used to give him, the laughter of his mother and father while conversing about random things. somehow, the joyful memories for him was nothing but pure agony.

they used to be happy but how unfortunate that they became the next victim of destiny. it was cruel, not even showing a bit of mercy to them, to him.

with shaking hands, he reached for his phone and dialed the number of the person that first came to his mind. no matter how many times he told himself that he was strong, he was still afraid of being alone, scared of falling to that dark abyss once again. 

he put the phone on his ear as he sniffled, a lone tear escaped from his eye. "hello?" the person of the other line said. hyunjin didn't answer for a few seconds, he was trying to control his breathing.

"hyunjin? are you there?"

"m-minseo?" he covered his mouth when he heard his own voice cracked. rustling can be heard from the other line as minseo frantically stopped on what she was currently doing and slipped her shoes on to head outside.