chapter 2 || breaking down ♥︎

|| Aaliyah's POV ||

As we drive to church, I gaze out of the dusty window, out at the plain and lonely countryside as silence fills the truck, the engine rustling along as it trails through foggy, dismal roads that seem to go on eternally

I can't help but remember what grandma said about gays, that Christians believe it is a sin. My mother is a strong Christian and my dad slowly is following in her footsteps.

"Mom?" I mumble, my legs trembling as my voice fades.
"What is it Aaliyah?" She clearly insists whilst fixing up her dark burgundy lipstick.
"What does the bible say about gay people?" I mutter, the tension instantly fills the car as everybody's breaths suddenly become quiet and nervous for me.

I look over at my grandma who's sitting two seats away from me, staring out of the window with her teeth gritting together awkwardly.

"Being gay or lesbian is bad darling, it's a sin." She powerfully states, continuing perfecting her overdrawn lips.

My heart feels as if it's tightly gripping in my chest, causing a fusion of anger and frustration to rush through me. I manage to conceal it.

When we arrive, we are greeted by the Jamison family. My friend Joseph stands uncomfortably in his formals beside them, tugging at the rough material sleeves. We all walk together down the cobble pathway, leading directly into the church. I attempt to stall slowly with Joseph and speak to him.

My family enter the church with the Mr and Mrs Jamison as I stop completely to speak to Joseph.

"What's up?" He asks with worry.
"I don't know, I was just speaking to my mom about the rules of being Christian and she said one is that being gay is a sin. I don't know why it bothers me so much but it really does."
I sign, scratching my dress uncomfortably

"Are you??" He begins, searching my face for any possible signs he's looking for. I feel my face flush bright red, id never thought of that.
"Oh god no..no." I nervously giggle, resulting in receiving an unconvinced look from Joseph.

He places his arm on my shoulder, making me feel a lot less pressured.
"You know if you were, id still be your friend." He smiles reassuringly. "Just because I step in a church every Sunday, it doesn't mean I'm homophobic." He whispers as I notice Mrs Jamison gesturing us inside.

The service feels as if it's lasted years. The only thing on my mind is the conversation I had with Joseph. I still feel my cheeks slightly flushed as I stare into space. Why would I blush over something like that? Why was I so bothered about homophobia, surely it wouldn't apply to me?

Everyone around me begins to stand for the final hymn. I refuse. Something inside of me snaps.
"Aaliyah id get up if I were you. Mom won't be happy." Johnathon whispers almost silently, my mom is currently fumbling through her bag for the hymn book.

I fold my arms stubbornly, noticing numerous people around me whispering throughout the hymn. The anger rises higher as the hymn continues and my fists roll up with such force and anger.

I feel my moms hand forcefully grab my dress and pull me off my seat, ripping it slightly in the process.
"You sing this hymn NOW." She aggressively whispers, launching a hymn sheet into my sweating palms.

I slam it onto the ground, crumpling it with my muddy boots, provoking numerous shocked gasps around me.

My mom attempts to snatch my wrists, but I am able to dodge it and run through the isle and out of the church.

girls like girls ♥︎जहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें