1. Just Like Us

-----------

-----------

Erik Jonasson - Like A Funeral

"I know, it's just a funeral
To say goodbye again
For one last time
You were holding my hands
For one last time."

IT WAS INCREDIBLY QUIET THAT MORNING IN THE GILBERT HOUSE. Bright light came through the window as Elena heard a sound of church bells, sirens and yard work from afar. She finally opened her eyes with a gasp and woke up.

The Gilbert girl slowly sat up in bed, sounds not letting her think properly as she saw Stefan sitting on the end of her bed, watching her. Elena glanced at him in confusion. She was dead, that she remembered. "Stefan?" her voice came out as hoarse and scared.

"Hey, I'm right here," the youngest Salvatore touched her leg in comforting manner as Elena felt empty inside and yet so full of emotions. "You've been in and out for hours."

"Wh-what happened?" she questioned before looking down at her hand to see that Holden's gift for her 18th birthday wasn't on her wrist normally. That made her panic a little because she promised herself to never take that off. Why was she even thinking about Holden and the need to hug and kiss him so much? Why was she thinking about Damon at all?

Stefan paused. "You were in an accident."

Elena widened her eyes as images of past started flowing in. "Oh my God. Matt is he...?"

Holden then sighed deeply from his spot at the window so Elena snapped her head at her savior, who just needed one more minute to save her. But Elena chose herself to die. To let water flow and die in his hands. "He's alive," Holden commented dully as Elena and Stefan both glanced at him. "Ask the hero Stefan Salvatore."

Stefan looked down, feeling guilty so Elena glanced back at him, confusion still surrounding her. "He's fine."

Elena glanced back at Holden, who didn't look back at her. As if he was scared to look her in the eye, like she wasn't Elena anymore. "You saved me," she then mused and finally Holden's and hers eyes met.

It held pain. Holden's eyes. And then he shook his head. "I didn't."

"When Jeremy brought you to the hospital before all this happened, your injuries were worse than anyone knew," Stefan told the girl, ready to tell her the news, so hurtful. "Meredith Fell made a choice, she used Damon's blood to heal you."

Holden then walked away from the window and stood next to her bed. "And then Rebekah ran Matt's truck off the road... You had vampire blood in your system, Elena. You're a..."