Chapter 10: Kristopher

Backstrom was in my office once again, only this time she had Lieutenant Baby and Agent Trotz with her. They were speaking in low tones, looking over reports in their hands. I wanted to shove my foot through one of these damn glass walls every single time I saw them working together.

I settled for a mental image of shock on Lieutenant Baby's face if I were to do such a thing. He's shit his diaper. The trio simultaneously looked up at me as I entered. There was no sign of betrayal on Lieutenant baby's face, so perhaps he hadn't discovered me yet.

"We're glad you're here. Agent Backstrom has some interesting points." Lieutenant Baby said.

Couldn't wait to hear it.

"Agent Trotz and I reviewed the footage from Maria's encounter with The Doll Collector. We sent it to our IT team in D.C., and they've come to the conclusion that the video was manipulated. The portion that we believe would reveal an image of The Doll Collector was cut."

Yes, I was very aware of that.

"Who would cut it?" I asked.

Me. I would cut it, and I had cut it.

"Someone in connection with the killer. That person may either work in the security room at the restaurant, or he had access to the evidence room, which would mean he works here." she continued.

Lieutenant Baby shook his head. "No, he's never alluded to a partner. His notes, his precise method of selection and execution points to it being one person."

"Perhaps the Admirer?" Agent Trotz chipped in.

"He's an admirer of The Doll Collector's work. The moniker he has given himself gives that impression." I said.

"Okay, let's go with that theory that he works alone. If he did, then that means that he either works at the restaurant or the station. None of the staff recognized him when we interviewed them. They also had little recollection of ever having seen him before that night. With those facts, we can eliminate the possibility of him working there. That means, he works here, and it's not a bad theory, given that he's managed to elude the police this long." Agent Backstrom explained.

I watched her cockiness emerge and glow on her face. FBI agents, always walking in, pretending they were better than local law enforcement. The worst part was that she wasn't wrong, and that made my blood curdle with an unadulterated lust for cold blooded murder.

"What makes you think he was always one step ahead?" I asked.

"He's been able to avoid the police this long. The tampering of the video and the murder of Barbara Connolly gives the impression that the information was either leaked or someone in this station has been putting egg on your face." She was shooting insults with the inflection of her voice.

Yes, it was true, I was fooling everyone, but I wanted to wipe that smug look off of her face.

"That's not possible." Lieutenant Baby said.

"Then that means the LAPD is just that bad at their job." Agent Backstrom shot.

Punching women is wrong, punching women is wrong.

Well I mean... so is killing them, and yet.

"I want to speak to the SAIC." I said, gritting my teeth.

She tiled her head at me the way a confused dog would.

"I am the Special Agent in Charge." She grinned.

Don't strangle her in front of your boss, don't strangle her in front of your boss.

"Detective Marner, please understand." Agent Trotz began with a conciliatory tone. "Given the evidence, it appears that The Doll Collector understands the way police work. He knows when to go out and when to lay low. He sees these women enough to gain their trust, but doesn't attend their places of employment too much to prevent anyone, other than the target, from noticing him."