Chapter 13: Kristopher

The urge to turn around and grab Maria again was incredibly strong. I tried everything to pry my thoughts away from her. I stopped at the edge of the woods and pulled out a burner phone. With shaking hands, I dialed 911.

I took in sharp breaths just as the operator answered on the other line.

"911, do you need police or ambulance services?" she asked.

"Police."

"One moment please."

I waited for a second before, "911, what is your emergency?"

"I hear this woman crying in a cabin out here in Angeles National Forest. She's crying out for help, but I can't get to her. She's in a cabin, that's all I know. It's the third cabin down the hiking trail." I said, then hung up.

I wiped my finger prints off and with all my might smashed it against a tree.

I hopped in my car and sped out of the forest straight home.

All of the lights on my street were off, so I cut the headlights, and quietly parked in my driveway. With the same stealth, I slipped into the house keeping the lights off. My heart was thudding rapidly as I waited for the call from either Adrian or Lieutenant Carter.

The minutes passed like hours and before long it was an hour.

Why the hell hadn't this tip been called in to us?

This system was so screwed up. I was getting away with murder and-and actually that was a good thing. You do you system, you do you.

Then it happened. My phone buzzed silencing the room. The name on the screen read Adrian DeWitt. I waited a few seconds before answering in a fake groggy voice.

"Marner get down here immediately, I think we found Maria." he said.

"What?" I shouted.

"Someone called in about a woman crying in a cabin, it's one near the blowing smoke cabin, Kris. It has to be her."

"Okay, I'll be down there soon. Don't leave without me."

I ended the call and messed around for a few minutes before rushing out and jumping into the car.

There were many ways that this could play out. One, Maria would rat me out and tell Adrian everything or two, she kept everything a secret and everything would be alright.

Adrian was waiting for me outside of the station. I parked my car and landed in his passenger seat.

Behind us was a trail of squad cars.

"Did anyone tell Backstrom?" I asked.

"Pfft, she'll get word eventually. This was our case and she's not going to get in the middle of that." Adrian said, gripping the steering wheel just a bit tighter.

"If this is her..." I trailed off knowing damn well it was Maria.

"Then she's the only known survivor, and the key to putting that son-of-a-bitch in jail." he finished.

Not the direction I was going in, but okay. With the lack of traffic, we made it to Angeles National Forest a lot quicker than expected. The darkness was flooded with red and blue lights as each squad car rolled in, single file.

We stopped right in front of the the cabin and rushed in announcing ourselves as LAPD.

Everyone spread out checking each room. I went straight for the bedroom where I knew Maria was.

I stopped short, confused at what I was looking at. Adrian popped in behind me and rushed to her side.

What happened?