Chapter 11: Kristopher

By morning light, Maria was asleep on her side, next to me. She gave in rather quickly, and the fact that she had done so while beside someone who had tried to kill her, was reason enough to trust her entirely.

I got out of bed before her, to shower and get ready for another grueling day under the scrutiny of Bitchstrom. Eventually, she met me at the kitchen table where we shared an awkward breakfast. A silence had settled over us, and to be quite honest, I didn't expect anything else. We had crossed a boundary that had not been previously discussed.

The look in Maria's eyes had changed somewhat. She appeared at ease, so perhaps she had accepted whatever this was. I was still unsure of what had occurred between us. Had the loneliness we each felt gotten so strong that this was the result?

I refused to think about it for period longer than 2 seconds because anything to do with feelings made me want to vomit. So instead, I cleaned up my breakfast plates and usually looked at Maria before I walked out to the door. She offered me a smile, and the subject was left there. Something had occurred between us, but we would not speak of it.

As soon as I closed the door, I felt someone watching me. I looked up to spot Taylor at the mailbox at the end of his driveway. His eyes were locked on mine, then I lowered my gaze down to his shoes. They looked youthful, I suppose. Was it Taylor, was he the Admirer?

I didn't talk much to him because he very much gave the impression of being an idiot. He was a target for bullying, so maybe there was anger building up inside of him that would result in him being a serial killer. But he also looked like the type that would faint at the sight of blood. He didn't really have it in him to be a serial killer.

I got into the car, ignoring Taylor's persistent stare. He was just being a pain in the ass, and one that I would sucker punch the first opportunity given.

As I arrived at the station the mood was suddenly thick and extremely heavy. Dozens of black SUVs were parked in the lot.

The FBI was here... yay.

I took in a deep breath, ready to walk in there and be arrested almost immediately. Backstrom was going to figure me out, and she was much too important to the FBI to just make her disappear. If I went down, at least I had one good night with Maria. For once I wasn't the soulless person that I usually was.

I opened the door, walking in with nerves pricking at my muscles. There they were, the suits, waiting to haul me away to the nuthouse for being a psychotic serial killer who skinned his victims and turned them into pretty little dolls. Backstrom looked up from the puddle of black ties. She was the only woman in the group, and the most dangerous.

"Good morning, Detective Marner." she said.

"Good morning, Agent Backstrom. You look lovely today." I replied.

She cocked a brow and didn't thank me.

Rude.

I walked to my office, shrugging my suit jacket off when my phone buzzed in my pocket.

"Hi Detective." someone said, as I slipped my phone out and into my hand.

"Hi Jenny." I replied, glancing up momentarily.

It was him again, only this time he'd sent me a photo.

"I haven't been here for a while, but um after seeing the body in the box, it got to me."

"That's understandable." I told her, opening the message.

"Um, listen, I'm here because I've been thinking a lot, about you."