Chapter 14: Maria

The next I awoke, I was in a dimly lit room. A machine was beside me beeping with my heart rate. A whole side of my face was swollen and tender along with a splitting headache.

I reached for my face, wincing when I touched my eye. Pain sprouted all the way down my cheekbone to my chin.

The one eye that wasn't swollen shut took a look around the room.  Beside me on a chair was a red headed girl. My heart clenched realizing that it was Jenny.

I tried to speak, but my voice was hoarse and my throat scratchy.

Instead I coughed, earning the same effect, her attention.

She lifted her head and rushed to my side. Her speed knocked into my bed, hitting the pain receptors.

I groaned, my eye welling with tears. Pain radiated like lightning through my rib age with breathing only making it worse. Heat bloomed through my body adding to the discomfort.

Jenny apologized, running a hand over my hair. It felt dirty, greasy and sweaty under her hand. She didn't seem to mine and instead smiled at me. Her face was weary, with her eyes reddened with tears.

"You're safe now." she assured, pulling the chair to sit closer to me.

Her voice was soothing and inspired the utmost melancholy within me. I was sure that I would never see her again. My heart ached with pain and joy. Here she was, with me.

"Where are my parents?" I croaked.

"They're getting dinner. You've been asleep for like two days."

Wow, the first time I got to sleep for two days and I couldn't even enjoy it. I opened my mouth for a second to ask about Kris, then I bit my tongue.

My mind was so foggy, I almost let his name slip past my lips.

"Um, Jenny?" I began, trying to sit up.

I yelped and crashed back into my pillows. More tears sprung in my eye and traveled down my cheek. I sucked in a sharp breath, squealing at the new wave of pain.

Jenny, gently patted my shoulder, urging me to stay down. Two of my ribs had cracked with a third one making a clean break. I would be out two months.

"What is it? I'll get it for you." she said. "You won't be getting up for a while."

"Um, the detectives who found me, where uh, where are they?" I asked.

"They're outside, one of them stayed behind." She replied.

Kris.

"Can I see him?"

She nodded, stepping outside of the room. I heard her whispering something, then a large figure darkened the doorway.

My heart quickened at the sight of Kris. It almost made my forget the pain, almost, because half a second later it was back.

His clothes looked as though he had slept in them and the dark circles were so obvious under this eyes. He looked back, asking Jenny if he could speak to me alone.

As she exited, he went through the motions of introducing himself as Detective Kristopher Marner. The moment she closed the door, he pulled the curtain all the way to the side of the wall, and walked up to me.

Kris, didn't speak a word and instead clasped my hand and put his forehead to the back of my hand. I ran my free hand through his hair, but even that slight movements made my ribs scream.

I bit my tongue to prevent myself from wailing at the pain. Kris continues to give penance at my side while I stroked his hair.

I was beginning to miss the privacy we shared in his home. Kris raised his eyes letting me see just how angry he was.