Chapter 12: Maria

The time had come for him to relinquish control and it should come as no surprise that Kris was struggling way too much with it.

It was some time around two in the morning.

He had snuck me into his car through the garage and had driven us out to the cabin. On the way, it was explained to me that this was where he had performed his work.

Fear, anxiety, disgust, all of it, had my skin crawling.

Sure, there were parts of his personality that I somehow had come to accept, but this was his private place, more so than his home.

This was the serial killer's secret lair.

It was that part of the movie where you realized that the very horrors you were running from, had taken place on the very floor that you were standing on.

I didn't know what to expect, however knowing Kris, it was probably very clean. The car came to a stop, and I was allowed to raise my head from under the big blanket he had laid over me. Kris opened the car door, helping me find my balance onto the ground.

Before us was the cabin, darkened in the shadows of night.

Kris placed his hand on the small of my back, encouraging me to step onto the wooden porch, but my feet were firmly planted on the dirt ground.

I couldn't go in there. This was where he had killed all those women, and had turned them into dolls.

Maybe he was pretending to be okay with letting me go, and was bringing me here to finally put an end to all of this. Maybe that was the game he had been playing all along.

He had told me himself, that he treated his victims very nicely, and had even slept with a couple of them beforehand as experiments. He had never kept one alive for so long, making me an experiment, too.

I shook my head, meeting his eyes.

"What's wrong?" he asked.

"I-I uh... I can't go in there Kris, I'm sorry." I stuttered, shrugging off his hand.

"Why not?"

"I think we both know why I can't."

He turned his attention to the door, then looked back at me, no clarity in his eyes.

"I don't understand."

Typical, guys never understood subtle hints.

"I'm scared." I admitted.

"Why are you scared?"

"Kris-"

"Don't skirt around the issue. Come on psychiatrist, tell me." he pressed.

Rude.

"Kristopher, this is where you killed them. Three girls met the end of their life here. This is where you turned them into dolls. You brought them here, just like you're bringing me here." I told him.

"This is different. I'm not going to kill you."

"How can I be sure?"

"Maria, seriously, if I wanted you dead, you'd be dead. You have to trust me."

"Don't talk to me about trust, you thought I was trying to poison you and practically kicked me out of your life." I reminded.

"Maria, I care about you, why can't you see that?" he asked.

"Don't use my words against me."

"When I demonstrated my lack of trust, you blew up at me, and ranted about me not realizing that you care about me, much more than my dolls. I care about you much more than my dolls, and that's why I'm letting you go. I see that now, and you were right, I have to trust you through this. I want you in my life, and not just a secret I keep hidden in my room." he said.