Chapter 20: Maria

When I awoke the next morning, I felt a lump on my chest, and that lump was Eloise. I nudged her off and sat up, rubbing my eyes. The conversation that Kris and I had had last night was hanging over me. He was such an idiot going back to his house with that woman having access to the house next door.

Yeah sure, he was a serial killer, but that kid wasn't playing and he had the FBI on his side. Elaine would protect him and pin everything on Kris. Although, it is what he deserved, but Taylor had to be punished too. I slid out of bed, and dragged my feet into the hallway. My ribs were especially sore and painful this morning. After a warm shower, they felt better so I lumbered into the living room. My parents were already up, whispering hurriedly. Eloise was close on my heels, following me into the other room. My parents looked up, trying to hide a piece of paper.

"Mom." I said.

She didn't try to argue, and just handed over the paper.

I should have killed you :)

My blood curdled. He had been near this house, that little punk had been near my parents. I folded the paper and turned away to go change into something more presentable. My mind was racing with angry thoughts. I wasn't going to be a damsel in distress, and I was going to fight back. Kris would be of no help, he didn't take them seriously, but I knew someone that would. Once I was dressed, I left Eloise with my mom and took my car to the police station.

The officers greeted me as I walked in. My eyes were darting about the station, looking for Detective DeWitt.

There he was, going to town on a box of donuts. Beside him was a little girl, also enjoying a donut. She smiled up at him, earning a chuckle from him.

"Detective DeWitt." I called.

He looked over, giving me a wave.

"Hi there." I grinned at the little girl.

"Hi! I'm Adriana." she said, taking a bite out of her chocolate donut.

"This is my daughter Adriana. It's bring your kid to work day." Detective DeWitt introduced.

"Are you Maria?" she asked.

"I am, how did you know?" I replied.

"Mommy told me about you. You're brave."

I glanced at Adrian, kind of shocked.

"You know, some kids have Dr. Seuss read to them before bed. Adriana has listened to the life stories of Ted Bundy, Ed Gein, and Jeffrey Dahmer... Right now it's The Doll Collector." he explained.

I didn't really know what to say, what kind of parents read to their kids about serial killers?

"She's a lot tougher than she looks." he said. "I've never seen that girl have a single nightmare. She loves this stuff."

Well, if that wasn't a serial killer in the making.

"She'll make a great detective in the future." I said.

"Thank you. So what brings you by?" he asked.

"This note was left at my house."

I held up the white folded up piece of paper. He took it from my hand and quickly read it.

"Did you see who left it?" he asked.

"No, but it's pretty obvious who did. He knows where my parents live. It's not safe for me or for them."

"Come into the interview room and we'll talk more about this. Adriana, go sit with Lieutenant Carter." he said, nudging her along.

As soon as her little head bobbed into Carter's office, he and I walked to the interview room. He asked me to sit down as he walked to the camera in the corner. Detective DeWitt unplugged it and took a seat across from me.