Chapter 18: Maria

It filled me with relief that Kris was gone. My family issues were not for his ears. Yes, we were in a strange position where it seemed that he was going to be part of my life now, but he did not have to know anything of what went on with my family. If anyone would understand a damaged family life, it would be him, and yet, my I felt that my vulnerabilities were not safe with him.

For years, I tried my hardest to suppress that part of my life, and now it was resurfacing with a vengeance.

With Kris' departure came Jared's as well. His excuse was something along the lines of having to run errands, but I didn't quite listen. I just wanted him out of my house.

My argument with him had drained me of all energy, so I settled down in my bedroom after taking a round of painkillers.  As I lied down, my mom brought in the breakfast that Kris had made me. She'd nuked it for a minute since their arrival had prevented me from enjoying it.

She took a seat beside me and took my hand in hers.

I could see the curiosity in her eyes, that she wanted to know what had happened in those 6 months that I'd been locked up in the doll room.

If only she knew, that the man who brought me home was the one that stole me away, or that he was walking in and out of this apartment at his leisure.

"That Detective Marner is very attractive." she said.

Ah yes, I was 27 years old, unmarried and without kids. Jared's atomic bomb had certainly reminded her that she didn't have grandchildren from me.

"He's nice." I replied.

"Is he single?"

"Um, I'm not sure. I haven't asked." I shrugged.

"Well, maybe you should."

I couldn't help but laugh and promised to do some digging. She leaned over and kissed me on the cheek, asking me to rest up. Tonight, we would all be having dinner at their house with Kris. Lovely.

My parents spent the day with me, assisting me in getting around to places and helping me meal prep for the rest of the week, so I only had to heat things up. I'd pushed the prospect of seeing Jared again, far from my mind. I wanted nothing more than to put Jared on the floor. I was too angry, and the only way we settled things as sibling was making someone tap out.

My mom seemed to finally understand that I was angry, and for that, she made absolute sure that I got ready and actually went back to their house. Apparently I was a flight risk.

She drove us to my childhood home and the memories of Jordan flooded me with a vengeance, but somehow I felt okay. It was like he was here with me for the first time.

I took in a deep breath, and walked into the living room. My dad was relaxing on the sofa with the remote in hand, while the pain in the ass that was my older brother, was sitting on the adjacent sofa.

He met my eyes, but didn't say a word. He knew... he knew this was going to end in the ceremonial ring.

I kissed my dad on the cheek, and began to follow my mom to the kitchen when something caught my ear. I turned around, spotting news broadcast covering my disappearance and reappearance. My dad sat up and flipped the channel, but I quickly asked him to turn back and raise the volume.

"Maria Gonzalez, a 27-year-old PhD student at the University of Southern California disappeared in late June. It was determined that her disappearance was attributed to The Doll Collector. After her abduction, The Doll Collector fell dormant, and no other disappearances were linked to him. Maria was found alive, in an abandoned cabin believed to belong to The Doll Collector. After an interview with the FBI, a sketch has been released of the identify of the most notorious serial killer to date. He is described as being in his early to mid twenties, about 5'7 with dark hair and brown eyes. We are urging everyone and anyone, that may have details regarding his whereabouts, to contact the LAPD and ask for Agent Elaine Backstrom."