Chapter 7

Chapter 7

After Miss Ricci had managed to calm herself down from her very stressful morning, she seemed to have realised that she had an English class to teach as students started to come into the classroom.

She gave a huge sigh and as soon as everyone was in their seats she grudgingly got up from her seat, closed the door and faced the class with a solemn expression. It seemed like she could not be bothered to teach the class- no change there then.

“Okay, I am going to give each of you a poem to study and in your pairs you have to analyse the poem and present your findings to the class at the end of the period. We have been practicing analysing poems these past few weeks, so you should all know what you should be doing” and with that she went to her desk and retrieved the pile of papers, which I now knew to be the poems. One by one she handed a poem out to each pair until she came to our desk. She stared at us for what seemed like a while and then scavenged through the pile of papers in her hand until she pulled out a poem from the middle of the pile for us. Why couldn’t she have made it easier for herself and pick out a poem that was on the top of the pile. I’m sure she was picking random poems for everyone else.

She laid down the poem in front of us and as she was doing so, eyed us wearily before leaving for her desk. I turned to Aaron and at the same time he turned to me, both with confused looks on our faces. It seemed like Aaron also noticed Miss Ricci’s strange behaviour. Then again, she was always a little weird. We just dismissed her and looked at the poem that was in front of us.

I was a bit taken a back as this poem was handwritten and looked a bit like Miss Ricci’s rather messy handwriting. I looked to the table beside us and their poem seemed to be typed up, like the ones we usually get. Maybe she had to quickly write it up when the photocopier broke down. Yeah, that must be it.

The weird thing was that it was by an anonymous person and one I had never seen before, and I had read a lot of poems. This was a rather short poem and was titled ‘picture worth 1000 words’ and it read:-

                                                      ‘Beside me, is a photo

                                               Of you, I remember the memories

                                       The wonderful people that we had become

                                         But there you are, just a distant memory

                              I hope you are not thinking of me, as I am thinking of you

                                    As you have caused me to much pain in the past

                                     And have caused me never to trusts again’ 

“Oh, I’ve always loved poems” I turn to Aaron with my eyebrows raised. I know poems can be great, but I never loved poems like Aaron did. He just laughs at my weirded expression. “Whenever there is a poem, or maybe a note, especially one that is handwritten, there usually tends to be some kind of secret message to decode. Like this one for instance is...” he looks down at the poem, with his eyebrows furrowed in deep concentration, and takes his time to figure out this so called message. While he was doing this, I looked around the room out of boredom until my eyes caught Miss Ricci’s stare. Her eyes were fixated on Aaron scribbling down some notes and then going back to concentrating on the poem. Why was she staring at him so weirdly, like she was suspicious of him or something. I decided to ignore as she was always acting strangely, especially this morning she was acting stranger than usual.

“Okay then” Aaron startles me as I am brought out of my thoughts. “The pattern here is the first word in the first line. Then the second word in the second line, the third word in the third line and so on. That is one of the easiest and simplest forms of patterns to solve; there are so many other different patterns to use. Although you usually look for this pattern first as it is the easiest”

“Hmmm” I nod impressed. I raise the glasses that were now falling down my nose back up to my face and take a look at the poem again. “Did you notice that she spelt the word ‘to’ wrong-assuming it is a she- it is supposed to be spelt with two o’s not one. That’s weird, isn’t it?”

“Yeah” Aaron replied back, now looking at the mistake in the poem.

“So what did this secret message say?”

“Well, it’s kind of a weird yet very true message” he laughed and handed me a piece of paper on which he scribbled the note in. The note said ‘beside you, people are not to trust’. I take another look at the poem just to make sure that he had gotten it right.

“Yeah, it is kind of a weird message but you can’t blame her since she has just had her heart broken so I can understand why she is having trouble trusting people” I laugh and he laughs with me. “Well done for solving the message. You managed to solve it pretty fast. How did you know about poems and the code thing? I mean, I have never noticed it before” I asked.

I thought I saw him freeze and his shoulders tense up but I looked again and he seemed to be in his normal relaxed state but his eyes were anywhere but mine as if he was hesitant to tell me. Eventually he says “someone told me about it” and did not elaborate on it, so I decided to drop the subject as he apparently looked uncomfortable about it. Why would he be though? It was just a simple question.  

The bell rang signalling for us to go to our next class. As I was walking along the corridor I was left thinking about the message from the poem. ‘Beside you people are not to trust’. I glanced briefly at Aaron who was walking beside me. Could I trust him? It’s only been a while since he has moved here yet I don’t know everything about him. Maybe he or she was right in the poem. Maybe she was trying to say to be careful about the people around you and that you should not trust easily. Or if I looked closer, maybe they were saying to look beside me. Beside me was Aaron and maybe I wasn’t to trust him.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

I have to apologise for that awful poem. I cringe every time I look at it.  As you can tell, I really can't write poems but I had to try so I could some sort of message there. I'm sure I'll look back on that in 20 years time and just laugh my head off. Haha! Anyway, hope you enjoyed it! :)

Yes, another chapter. haha. I know these past few chapters have been quite short but I promise the next one will be quite long.

And also, I never say this, but take a listen to the song at the side. I really loved it and reminded me a little bit of this chapter.