Chapter 12

Chapter 12

Only a couple of weeks left until the end of school and one more week until the annual end of school year dance. All the girls would be getting ready for it by now, buying their dresses and booking up appointments to get their hair and makeup done. Then there are the boys who would be plucking up the courage to ask the girls to be their dates to the dance.  And me, well I usually give these dances a miss and this year wouldn’t be any different.

I couldn’t believe that it was almost the end of the school year. So many unbelievably, crazy things had happened during this year including the whole situation with the diamond, going on my first ever camping trip and meeting Aaron.

After coming back from summer break, we would only have one more year left of high school until we all moved on with our lives and went our own separate ways. Me, hopefully studying English at Cambridge University but I plan to take it all one step at a time rather than thinking of the future just now. Who knows what was going to happen next year, maybe I wouldn’t continue being a spy. I had been having doubts as to whether I want to continue on with my spy life. Jason was right, we choose this life. I just wasn’t sure if I could handle university life and juggle it with my spy life. But as I said, I’m just going to take it one step at a time. 

“What are you thinking about?” Aaron asked as he sat down beside me on the grass on this beautiful summer’s day, shaking me out of my thoughts.

I turn to him and give him a smile. “Just thinking about how it’s already summer”

“I know, it’s come so fast. Summer is my favourite time of the year, you know” he said as he sat down beside me.

“Really. I’m more of a winter person myself. I love the snow and the frost”.

“Wow. I’ve never known anyone whose likes the winter. That’s the season that everyone usually complains about the cold” he chuckled.

“Don’t get me wrong, I hate the cold but I just love the whole feel of winter. It feels so... magical”

“Okay, so I found someone who likes the winter but I need to find someone who actually likes the cold” Aaron joked.

“Good luck finding that” I laughed.

It was relaxing, just sitting out here enjoying my lunch in the cool breeze on this warm summer day. I lay back on the grass; feeling even more relaxed and closed my eyes. I could feel Aaron do the same from beside me.

“So” Aaron started off. He sounded somewhat nervous but I couldn’t tell as my arm was covering my eyes.

“Mmm?” I replied. Too relaxed and lazy to give a coherent answer.

“The dance is coming up soon” he informed me in a casual manner.

“Yeah, I hear” I replied bluntly.

“And its and under the sea theme” he continued to ramble on. Where was he going with this?

“Uugghhh, so cliché” I groaned. “This is why I never go. There is never anything original or new about these dances”

“Oh, you’ve never been to a dance before?” he sounded surprised.

“Yep. I really can’t be bothered. Such time wasting activities.” I replied absentmindedly.

“Oh, okay” and he left it at that.

I didn’t even bother to think why he was asking me about the dance. I just assumed maybe since he was new, he was just inquiring about it. I was too busy basking in the sun to think about it.