Chapter 13

There is a flashback in this chapter which is indicated with a ***. Just thought I would let you know, just incase you got confused.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Chapter 13

After Andy dropped me off, I crouched behind the wall looking ahead at the abandoned warehouse, figuring out a safe way to get in unnoticed.

This warehouse had been unused for years and there had been suspicious activity that someone had been using it to store illegal drugs for the past few months.  The diamond case had been put on hold for a while. There were no more leads or information that lead us to the diamond thief, so while we were waiting for something, I had been sent to investigate this.

Just in case someone was already inside the warehouse, I had to stay hidden until I knew it was safe to go in. The building in front of me was not much of a building to be honest; I don’t think you could even call it that. All the windows had been smashed and remnants of glass were scattered about around the warehouse. All the doors had been boarded up all except one which looked like it had been broken into and that seemed to be the only way I could get in.

I emerged from behind the wall and looked to my right and left, making sure that the coast was clear. Nothing was there, so I made my way to the only entrance that could gain me access inside the warehouse. As I approached the door I peered inside slightly. I couldn’t hear any noises or see anyone as there was a pile of boxes stacked up high blocking my view of the inside of the warehouse.  Once I thought it was safe to go in, I tiptoed my way inside the rather damp smelling warehouse and skipped over the small puddles of water that had probably leaked from the roof and lurked through scraps of ripped up paper and metals that lay on the ground as I made my way to see what was inside the boxes. But I don’t think I needed to look to know what was inside.

As I made my way further into the warehouse, being careful not to make any noise as I headed towards the stack of boxes that lay around all over the warehouse, I didn’t notice a figure facing his back towards me, as I was too busy paying attention to the ground not wanting to step in anything horrid. I momentarily froze, not wanting to make a sound and slowly backed away, hoping to hide behind the boxes and not get myself noticed by the person in front of me.

But it was too late. He turned around to face me just as I was about to duck behind the boxes. As I took a closer look at him, I relaxed a little and refrained from rolling my eyes at who was standing in front of me with his usual styled hair and piercing green eyes.  Jason.

“Oh, you again” I said dryly. To be honest I was happy to see him, my insides were jumping for joy but I didn’t want him to know that. He didn’t answer back and just looked at the ground with his arms folded and his eyebrows furrowed in a solemn expression. His black hair was rather dishevelled as if he didn’t bother to look after it today, giving him a tousled look which looked nice on him.

“Why so grumpy, grumpy?” I teased. He was seriously acting grumpy and annoyed; I wondered what his problem was. This wasn’t the guy I had met at the woods.

“Just...” he took a deep breath, unfolded his arms and looked me dead in the eye with a serious expression on his face. “Just don’t bother with love okay. It’s a waste of time”

Silence filled the air. I didn’t know what to reply to that. We had never spoken of anything this serious at the woods. Well, not until we spoke about how hard two lives were.

“Oh, I see you took the plunge and decided to tell this girl then” I shrugged with feign sympathy, if this love thing didn’t work out for him then what were the chances of it working out for me. This may have made my decision to stay a spy or not a little easier. I did feel sorry for him but I had a mission to concentrate on, anything to do with love would just distract me. It would make me think of Aaron and how much I had hurt him, so I really needed to distract myself from that.