Chapter 15

Chapter 15

I walked in to the hall, taking in my surroundings. For an under the sea theme, it wasn't too bad. There were a lot of green and blue colours all around. Tissue paper hung around the walls to look like seaweed. The disco ball making the room sparkle like when the sun reflects on the ocean.  All the girls’ dresses seemed to match the decor as most were wearing sea coloured dresses for the theme.

And I was no exception. Once my mum found out I was going to the dance, she was ecstatic to say the least and dragged me to every single store looking for the 'perfect' dress, as she put it. After hours and hours of searching and moaning, we found the dress and I must admit it wasn't too bad. It was a silky turquoise halter-neck dress which came up just above my knees. Oh and it didn't stop there, she also insisted I needed a brand new pair of shoes, which again consisted of hours of whining and complaining, I just ended up letting her pick for me as I was tired just shopping for the dress. I tried to tell her that I had plenty of dresses and shoes back home but she insisted that I needed a new one for the dance.

She helped me do my hair and makeup before leaving. It was the least I could let her do as she had never had the opportunity to do this before as I had never really gone to any school dances. As she was curling my hair, I swear I saw her tear up but she managed to quickly cover it up as soon as I asked her if she was okay. I have no idea why she was so emotional; it was just a school dance. She would rather have me not wear my glasses tonight but I had to remind her that I had to wear it as part of my disguise, I couldn't risk getting caught. Not again anyway.

I currently held the note tightly in my hand, searching for Jason. He said he would meet me here, beside the refreshments table. I couldn't see him. I didn't even think he went to this school, so I was a little shocked when I read the note he gave me saying that he wanted to meet me here at the dance. I sighed; I didn't need to think about that. Tonight I was going to let go and have fun tonight and not think about anything tonight.

I could only see Aaron there at the refreshment table. I assumed that since Aaron and I weren't talking that he didn't want to go with me anymore. I still decided to come anyway, I wasn’t going to ruin this evening, I came here to see Jason. That was, if he even showed up.

I stood at the same spot for about ten minutes, patiently waiting for Jason, until I decided enough was enough. I wasn't going to wait here any longer. It seemed like Jason had stood me up. I knew it was too good to be true. I sighed, I couldn't believe it. Why was I so stupid to believe that he would actually show up!

I saw Aaron at the end of the hall, talking to some people. He turned my way and gave a small smile. I retuned that small smile, as his attention returned to the people he was talking to.

I guess I better make most of the night, instead of being gloomy and depressed all night, seeing as I had been doing enough of that all week.

I approached Aaron wondering what I was going to say to him. We hadn't spoken in almost over a week, so I had no idea what I was going to do. My feet spontaneously dragged me all the way to Aaron and before I had the chance to turn back, he noticed me.

I gave him a small smile and gave an awkward wave "Hi" I said rather meekly.

I noticed him look me up and down with a small smile playing on his face. “You look beautiful by the way"

I blushed at his comment and couldn't stop the huge grin forming on my face. "Thanks" I replied, looking down to the floor, tucking a strand of hair behind my ears.

"Listen, I'm really sorry about the whole thing at the-" I started but Aaron cut me off.

"No" he shook his head. "It’s okay. I shouldn't have ignored you like that for the past week. It was a stupid thing to do" he sighed. “It’s me who should be sorry"

"Do you know what, let's forget the whole thing for tonight and let's have fun. Were here now, so we might as well enjoy the night" I said genuinely wanting to forget about that day so I could have fun. "So... do you want to dance?" I asked awkwardly, hoping that he wouldn't say no.

His smile grew bigger as he took my hand and made his way to the dance floor. My insides were tingling and feeling so weird. It felt nice to hold his hand like that.

We were in the middle of the dance floor and I couldn't help the smile spreading across my face. A slow song had just started to play and I blushed slightly, I didn't know how this would turn out. This was different than when I was at the clubs. This was a whole different situation. I had never really danced a slow song with somebody and I was a little nervous about it.

  Aaron turned to face me with a huge smile also playing on his face making all my fears go away. He placed both arms around my waist as I nervously wrapped mine around his neck. He smiled, assuring me everything was going to be okay and we started swaying to the music.

 It felt so good to see Aaron again and being able to talk to him after so long. And for some reason, it felt nice being right beside him and dancing with him.