PROLOUGE | AMULET

THE AMULET

Two Months Ago

Two Months Ago

IT WAS EARLY MORNING IN Queens, eight to be exact. The street was bustling with traffic and sound produced by street vendors and pedestrians polluted the air. Sixteen year old Avery Ayala carried a giant cardboard box in his toned arms with his black rimmed glasses perched at the tip of his nose.

He dropped the box onto a white fold out table. His carelessness led to some of the content of the box to tumble out onto the wide table. Avery's lips shifted into a a small frown," Damn."

As Avery picked and shoved the items into the box, a quiet boy stumbled upon the garage with a bookbag strapped to his back and an earphone in one ear. He browsed over the items thrown onto the table. Nothing seemed to peak his interest until he sights were set on a tanned boy with glasses.

Avery caught the other boys stare and he quickly looked down at the clutter.

"See anything you like?" The latino asked, glasses perched on his sculpted cheekbones and a bright smile on his pink lips. Peter stared for a while trying to figure out how he knew him and from where from. Then it hit him. Hw went to school with Peter, he sat in the back of his current issues class. Peter didn't know his name though. 

"Uh-no, I'm just looking," Peter answered, eyes glancing over the other boy's face. He had a nice smile, sweet and cheerful, different from the other jocks he knew.

"What are you interested in?" He went to stand beside the fifteen year old. Avery's eyes glanced over the clutter items on the table and then up at Peter, who was biting his bottom lip.

"Electronics?" Peter said, unsure of himself.

"Specifically?" Avery asked as he started walking away from Peter, wanting the boy to follow him. When Peter's eyebrows scrunched into eachother, Avery continued," Like tv, or stereo or uh lighting or something?"

"Oh, um nothing too specific," Peter responded and Avery walked away, coming back with a box filled to the brim with old, dusty tapes and random things. Avery blew on the box, dust floating through the air and Peter started sneezing painfully hard into the air.

"My bad," Avery said quietly and Peter muttered an 'it's fine', wiping his nose on his sleeve. The sixteen year old started pulling from the box. Old vhs tapes. A camcorder the size of a Midtown physics textbook. Film for said camcorder. Speaker wires. Coils of copper wire. Papers bided by a rusted paperclip. Stapler. Green necklace --wait.

Avery reached to grabbed the necklace, intrigued by the subtle glimmer the jade jemstone gave off. He wrapped his fingers around the amulet and his middle finger dragged along the back of the jewel until his finger caught onto a prong," Holy shit,"

Avery was met with agonizing pain that spread throughout his body. He quickly dropped the burning jewel onto the floor, cradling his bleeding finger to his chest.

Peter froze has he watched the dark haired boy hissed in pain. Avery put his finger to his lips, licking the blood up. Not the most sanitary but good enough until he could get his hand onto a bandaid.

"Hey, you uh okay?" Peter spoke up, nervously clutching and unclutching the strap of his bookbag.

Avery looked over to the other boy, a smile turning onto his lips," Yea I'm good. I forgot you were here,"

"No worries," Peter responded back.

"So did you find anything you like?" Avery inquired, scratching the back of his neck. His other hand pushing the jewel into his pocket. He'll deal with it later.

"The copper wire," Peter answered, pointing at the conductive wire.

Avery reached into the large box, pulling the copper wire out,"Ah here you go. You can have it. For free," He smiled at the smaller boy.

"Thanks. . ." Peter paused trying to get a name out of him.

"I'm Avery and you are?"

"Peter,"