CHAPTER SEVEN | CLOSER

CLOSER

AVERY LIKED PETER

AVERY LIKED PETER.

He knew it and he didn't bother denying it either. He also knew Peter liked Liz and was mostly likely as straight as a ruler, but what Avery knew that some rulers bend. Like the plastic blue one that sat in pieces on his bed. Avery might have, accidentally crumbled the blue ruler with his hand. And then also might have, accidentally push the smaller pieces off his sheets and underneath his twin-sized bed. Accidentally though.

Today was Saturday, an okay kind of day. Today Peter was suppose to come over to Avery's house so they can study before his Physics test Monday. Avery was currently shoving items under his bed.

The handle jingled and Avery's back straighten out and he slowly turned to his door and creeped to the overhang of the staircase, staring at the door with intensity. As he thought about different ways to choke someone out, the door opened.

His Mom stepped in, her bag hanging from her elbow joint, sunglasses sitting on top of her head. Avery let out a quick sigh before turning away and going into his room. He contiuned "cleaning" until the name 'Peter' fell from his mother's lips and he froze.

"--yeah Peter, he's just a sweet boy,"  

Avery bolted out of his room and down the stairs, his footsteps heavy. He slid into the kitchen, his eyes landing on his Mother and Peter.

"Hey, Peter," Avery ran a hand through his messy brown hair, trying to tame the unruly curls," I thought you weren't going to come over 'til twelve?"

"It's twelve-o-five," His mother responded after looking up from her digital watch. She was smiling. Why was she smiling? Avery began to panic, she told him something didn't she.

"Oh wow," Avery nodded, his gaze falling on Peter, who stood quietly with his hands in his pocket," Hey uh Peter you should go upstairs. My room is the first door on the left,"

Peter gave a small nod, adjusting his bookbag," Nice meeting you, Mrs. Ayala,"

"You too, Peter," His Mom's red-lipped grin deepened and Avery gulped. Peter smiled brightly again and walked up the stairs.

Avery waited until he could hear Peter walk into his room before turning to his mother and saying, "Mami, que dijieste?"

His mother smirked and shook her head, "Nada,"

Avery eyes turned into slits as he stared hard at his mother," Mami," He let out in a warning tone.

"No dije nada," She responsed back, a playful glare in her brown eyes. Which led Avery to not believe her at all.  His mother was very secretive and sneaky, she found ways to embarass him like no other. Avery really wanted her to not be here while he studied with Peter.