CHAPTER FOUR | THE NEXT WHAT?

THE NEXT WHAT?

THE HOSPITAL BUILDING SMELLED of various cleaning chemicals and blood as Avery bursted through the automatic doors

THE HOSPITAL BUILDING SMELLED of various cleaning chemicals and blood as Avery bursted through the automatic doors. His hair was disheveled and his glasses were slightly askew on his rose cheekbones.

He took a slow deep breath before adjusting himself and his bookbag, to be presentable. Avery walked up to the hospital's main desk, with a smile and opened his mouth," Hello Miss,"

The woman at the desk couldn't be much older then him, seeing as her brown skin glowed beautiful, under the harsh yellow lights of the hospital. Her pink lips spreaded into a smile that beared her teeth before she responded with," Hello. How may I help you?" 

"I'm here to see my sister, Angela Ayala," Avery supplied with a pretty smile that match his bright eyes underneath his frames.

"One second," She replied back to him and looked down at the computer perched in front of her. As the woman started typing, his phone buzzed. He reached for it out of his pocket and pressed the home button. The screen flashed on and a notification from Dani + 2 Idiots appeared. Before he could respond to text, stating his neglectfulness, the woman spoke," She's in room E-thirteen,"

Avery replied with a polite thank you before trying around from the desk and walking towards the elevator. He pressed the elevator button and waited for it to come up. When the elevator doors opened up he stepped in and pulled out his phone to reply to his messages.

You barely talk to us anymore, Av, the text read and he frowned. It was true he hadn't spoke to them in awhile, neither had he visited them back in Hell's Kitchen either. It's been a year and a half since Avery moved to Queens and it put a literal distance between the three of them.

You guys know I want to, I'm just stressed, he responsed back as he elevator dinged, a notification that he had arrived to Level E. He pushed the phone into his back pocket, wrapping his hands around his book bag straps and walking out of the elevator. He contiuned ahead to room thirteen and knocked on the door softly.

"Come in," A frail voice repiled back and Avery pushed the door opened. The sight of his sister hooked up to a steadily beeping machine and her paler than usual face made his heart drop. She looked so sad and helpless. The color was drained out of her cheeks and lips and her movements were slow and cautious as she turned towards the opening door," Avery,"

"Angela," He smiled as her name fell off his lips cheerfully," How are you doing?"

Angela groaned, body visibly deflating and she rolled her eyes," Everyone keeps asking me that, I'm fine,"

"Has Mami visited?" Avery asked. He moved to sit in the chair beside his sister's bedside, slinging his bookbag off with ease.

Angela gave Avery a deadpanned expression," You know that lady is already planning to camp here,"

Avery gave her a quick nod, the room growing quiet, the only sound being heard is Angela's heart moniter. Angela's flickered to the necklace sitting upon Avery's collarbones and she let out a barely audible sigh of realization. She had to tell him. She just didn't know how.

"Avery," Angela said quietly, catching the younger boy's attention," You're the next White Tiger,"

"The next what?" Avery's thick eyebrows furrowed as his nose scrunched up in confusion. What was she on about?

"The next White Tiger. You're the next carrier of our legacy. The next protecter," Angela elaborated which only confused Avery anymore.

Angela rolled her eyes quietly whispering that their father should be here to tell Avery about the family legacy," You have superpowers pendejo,"

Avery blinked, taking in the information before opening his mouth," What kind of drugs do they have you on?"

"What?" Angela's face contorted into one of annoyance,"  I'm not on drugs -- well they did put me on pain meds but-"

Avery cut her off, "So you are drugged up. Okay. So I'll tell the doctor to lower the dosage and to moniter your head, cause you sound crazy,"

"What? I'm not crazy. Ask Mom, she knows about the White Tiger amulet and its powers. It was dad's!" She repiled back, her tone firm.  Avery stared back at her with a slightly creeped out smile on his lips. He slowly reached for his bag as his sister's eyes followed his movements. Avery pulled the strap onto his arm, staring back at is sister.

The opened and their mother walted in a smile on her face. Avery and Angela both turned to her. She paused, her smile dropping," What's wrong?"

Angela opened her mouth the speak but Avery cut in before she coud get a word out," I think Angela is crazy and needs to lay off the pain drugs, because she's a little loopy and is making things up," Avery said quickly, stepping towards Angela's bed and pecking her forehead sweetly. He then turned to his mother and gave her a hug, almost knocking the wind out of her.

"I love you both. I'll see you at home Mami. I hope you feel better Angela," That was the last thing Avery said to them. He walked straight out the door and closed it loudly behind him.

Anglea's Mom turned back to her, "What was that about?"

"Nothing important, Mom," Angela dismissed, her nerves buzzing in the back of her head.

unedited|
crap shoot|