CHAPTER SIXTEEN | BLOODY

BLOODY

"SO YOU REMEMBER THAT TIME WHEN YOU RIPPED PETER'S SUIT and I let you tell him that it was me and you said you owe me? Well, I'm here to cash that favor in," Avery spoke into the phone as he looked out over the dark city of Hell's Kitchen

"SO YOU REMEMBER THAT TIME WHEN YOU RIPPED PETER'S SUIT and I let you tell him that it was me and you said you owe me? Well, I'm here to cash that favor in," Avery spoke into the phone as he looked out over the dark city of Hell's Kitchen. He was on the roof of the neighboring building. His heels kicked against the brick wall, his legs over the roof ledge. The people who walked below him looked like ants as he peered down at them.

"Yeah, of course. What do you need, Avery?" Ned's voice sounded over the phone.

"Do you think you could hack into the Queen Police Department's database for me?" Avery said slowly. He knew this was a heavy request to ask, especially to someone he was less than familiar with. Avery just needed to get the information so he could know where to start looking for the bastard that killed his Father.

After a few minutes of silence and typing sounds from Ned's end, he replied," I'm in. What am I looking for?"

"Anything --files, videos, evidence-- that concerns Hector Ayala,"

The line went silent. Avery called out his name and he responded," There's a video."

"Just send me everything. I'll sort through it on my own," Avery told.

"Are you sure, Avery? It's pretty but-"

"Just send it," Avery growled into the phone and hung up. He shoved his phone in his back pocket and sighed. Avery waited, his phone did not notify him once of any new messages. He ran a hand over his face and groaned. Maybe he was too harsh.

A minute later, his phone vibrated in his pants. As he reached to check it he continued to shake. Avery shot Ned a quick thank you before opening the video file that was sent. The video was dark, a few lights blinking in the background. A man came into frame, toting a duffel bag on his shoulder. He had a smile on his face.

It was Avery's Father.

Avery inhaled as a figure sprung on him, pulling him into a bruising choke-hold. Avery's Father didn't give up, however. He flipped the man over his back and stepped on his knee. He stood confidently over the man's body before a shot rung out and a bullet flew through the sky into Hector Ayala's skull. He fell dead. Avery covered his mouth in anguish, not believing his eyes.

He continued going through the files, some detailing the conditions in which his body was left in and others about the assailant. The police had suspects and had narrowed it down to one. Gideon Mace. Bingo. 

Gideon Mace was ex-military, dishonorably discharged for various reasons. He lost his right hand in combat. Makes it easier to identify him.