CHAPTER FOURTEEN | SERVICES AND SALSA

SERVICES AND SALSA

TODAY WAS HECTOR AYALA'S FUNERAL, AND AVERY NEVER LET PETER'S HAND GO

TODAY WAS HECTOR AYALA'S FUNERAL, AND AVERY NEVER LET PETER'S HAND GO. He kept his hand clasped in the other's for the majority of the day. Peter was his safety blanket, he refused to let Peter go. When the immediate family was called Avery stood, Peter right behind him and fingers intertwined within one another'.

Peter didn't mind it, he even encouraged it, giving sweet pecks to Avery's knuckles and squeezing his boyfriend's hand when he would start tearing up.

Peter wasn't the only one there to support Avery, behind them sat Dani, Sam, Kim, and Ron, quietly telling Avery it was okay and that he could get through this. It was comforting, but Avery couldn't fight the hole growing in his heart. No matter the love and support he received. He just wanted his father back.

At the memorial service, his mother bursted into tears as she spoke about Avery's father, so she volunteered Avery to speak. Avery froze in his seat as everyone turned to him expectingly. Sam patted Avery's back and whispered," You got this, Avery,"
Dani also leaned over and squeezed Avery shoulder.

Avery stood slowly, watching the crowd following his movements. He pulled Peter behind him, who said nothing of it. Once Avery stood behind the podium, he took a deep breath and began to speak," I honestly don't know what to say. I wasn't prepared for this," He gave the crowd a sad smile.

"Keep going, Avery," Peter whispered when Avery fell silent, looking down at his feet. He kissed his boyfriend's knuckles tenderly, wanting to relieve the pain.

Avery gave a stiff nod before looking up at the crowd," Growing up, a lot of things happened in my life. So many things that broke me and made me feel like nothing. Coming out, for instance, was a struggle, especially at the age of twelve. I sat my parents down and told them. I told them about my conflicting feelings and thoughts and said I didn't understand myself. My dad pulled me into his arms and said who you love doesn't matter, what matters is if they love and respect you for you and then followed it with okay if they're a serial killer then it does matter, but everybody else is cool,"

The crowd laughed and Avery gave a small smile," He was one of the first people to ever love me and one of the first people I ever loved--love. Descandse en paz, papi. Se te extranara." He whispered, his head bowed.

---

"FIVE, SIX, SEVEN, EIGHT. ONE, TWO, THREE, FOUR- OW PETER MY FOOT!" Avery yelled as Peter stepped on his foot. They had been dancing for about two hours. Avery was trying to teach Peter the basics of the Salsa. Keyword, trying to. Peter was so stiff and awkward as Avery held him in his arms and jostled him across their hotel room. Meanwhile, Avery glided across the floor elegantly, swaying his hips to Quimbara by the late Celia Cruz happily.

Avery had made an executive decision that Peter needed to at least know the basics of Salsa if he was going to be attending his sister's wedding. He had said "I can't take a date who doesn't know how to at least dance the Salsa. Especially if he's a gringo. My sister's fiance was roasted when my family found out that he wasn't Latino and that he couldn't dance. I will not let that happen to my boyfriend. Not on god's green earth,"

So they practiced, after taking a shower and changing into pajamas.

"I'm sorry. I told you I couldn't dance!" Peter said pulling away from Avery and folding his arms on his chest. He let out a puff of air as he sat down on one of the beds.

Avery paused the music and stood in front of the pouting Peter," You're doing fine, baby. You're just a little unsure of yourself when it comes to the movements. Just relax and dance with me,"

Avery played the music and laid out a hand for Peter to take. Peter pressed his hand into Avery's and he was yanked up and into the Latino's arms Avery placed his hands on Peter's hips and forced them side to side," Move your hips, babe. Stop being so stiff,"

"I'm trying," Peter said looking down, watching their feet go back and forth," I thought only girls were supposed to move their hips,"

"Traditionally, yes, but we're two boys and even traditional guys moves their hips, just not as much as women do," Avery explained, reaching up to tilt Peter chin up, so he was looking at him and not their feet," You look at your partner, not your feet,"

"Salsa is a loose and fast dance, Peter. You have to relax," Avery dropped his hand from Peter and the left hand held Peter's right. Peter began to get the hang of it, finally, after two hours of practicing and he started to smile up at Avery who smiled back happily.

"Okay, you finally got the hang of it. Now I'm going to spin you," Avery declared.

"No. I'm not rea-"

Avery flung his and Peter's hand behind Peter's back, causing Peter to be yanked into a turn. Once the spin was complete, Avery dipped Peter fast enough to give him whiplash, if his eyes hadn't been shut tight.

"Open your eyes, Pete,"

Peter laid frozen in Avery's arms as he flicked his eyes opened, his heart beating in his chest," Woah,"

"Woah, indeed," Avery stood up straight, pulling Peter up as well.

"I'm tired. Can I please sleep now?" Peter asked as they swayed.

Avery denied him and walked to his phone," Dance with me one more time. It's not Salsa."

Avery pressed play and a smile graced his lips as Peter's face sunk," Not this song,"

"Yes, this song, C'mon sway with me baby while I serenade you," Avery grabbed Peter by the hip and intertwine his right hand with Peter's left. He pulled Peter close, chests resting just a few inches from one another.

The couple began to sway to the downtempo beat of Get You. Once the chorus played Avery began to sing slowly in Peter's ear, "Who would've thought I'd get you?" His voice was soft and sugary-sweet. Peter closed his eyes, resting his head on Avery's shoulder.

"Everything I need between those thighs," Peter could basically here the smirk in his voice as he sung the lyric. He was right. Plastered on Avery's face, was the biggest smirk ever. He leaned down at placed a kiss to Peter's temple.

"Thank you for today," Avery whispered, before the second chorus peaked. He pecked Peter's forehead tenderly. Peter hummed in acknowledgment.

Some time pass before anyone spoke. Daniel Ceasar's Get You faded out and Alina Baraz's High faded in. The soft, melodic voice of Alina Baraz filed the room, the couple swaying in each other's arms.

"I like you a lot, Peter," Avery confessed, pulling back to stare at Peter. He had a small twinkle in his eyes.

Peter pulled his head from Avery's shoulder and smiled," I like you a lot too, Avery,"

And then they kissed.