✩ σnє ✩

✩✩ ✩✩ ✩✩ ✩✩ ✩✩

ᴛʜᴇ sᴛʀᴀɴɢᴇʀ ɪɴ ᴛʜᴇ ɴᴜʀsᴇʀʏ

ʜᴇʀᴇ's the thing, Kate Oswald knows that her infatuation with space is more of an obsession, but there's just something about the untouched, unknown edges of that dark, pitless sky that makes her want to climb into a spaceship and explore the universe. She also knows that she'll never be able to do that because she's simply not smart enough to be an astronaut. She wishes she had cared enough about chemistry and physics and maths at school to get to be one of the lucky ones who get to leave the earth behind - even if only for a few years - to live among the stars.

But it's too late for that, and instead she's stuck cleaning up the paint from a plastic table three hours after all the other nursery teachers have left because she's the only one who cares enough about the tables being clean. Maybe if they had just bothered to employ a cleaner she wouldn't have to put so much work into cleaning bubblegum pink paint from a sticky yellow table, but Leadworth Nursery will never have enough money to do that.

If only, she finds herself thinking all the time. If only she had paid attention. If only she had went to University. If only she was an astronaut. If only Amy would get a better job. If only this. If only that. Her head was a constant myriad of if only's that never got to see the light of day.

If only someone would drop in to cure my boredom.

And if Kate believed in a higher power, she would have thanked them for the man that comes stumbling through the doors of the nursery looking around wildly as if he expects an alien or something to come popping out from behind the closed doors. Instead, all he finds is Kate Oswald sitting on a baby blue plastic chair that is far too small for her, scrubbing furiously at the pink table covered in paint and glue and other things he doesn't want to think about. Kate is pretty sure she'd much rather have an alien than her in that moment. To be fair, she'd much rather have an alien than anything else.

Her infatuation - cough obsession cough - with space also tended to tread into the dangerous territory of other life. The man on the moon, the woman from Venus, the people making wedding rings from Saturn. It is fair to say that when it comes to space, Kate is rather open minded about everything and anything.

"You're late," she calls out, after minutes of this man just staring at her. He's rather nice looking. His blue suit fits him perfectly and goes quite well with his white converse. Kate's never seen a guy where trainers with a suit before - plenty of girls wear dresses and trainers, but that's not the same. His hair doesn't even need gel to stick up like that, she notices when he moves closer to her, eyes narrowed behind his glasses.