Chapter 2

Ace dodged in and out of carriages in search of Sam, who was nowhere to be seen, he had left the rest of his siblings further back on the train as they went off to their friends or to make friends. He ran a hand through his fiery red curls as he glanced in the windows of compartments and shuffled past other students. "Victoire!" He called to his cousin, "Have you seen Sam?" 

The bright blonde haired girl shook her head, "Sorry, I haven't. If I do, I'll tell him you're looking for him." Ace smiled at her appreciatively and continued his search.

He was confused. Sam almost always meets him on the platform, and if he doesn't he is usually very easy to find on the train. He sighed in annoyance as he shimmied past a group of first years who looked at him in awe. Ace heard one of the girls mutter to her friend saying that he had a cute bum, which instantly made him uncomfortable. Should an eleven-year-old really be looking and thinking like that? He cringed and rushed forward as he spotted Sam finally. 

"Merlin, Ace! Where have you been?" Exclaimed Sam as he pulled the boy into a hug, "I've looked all over for you!"

Ace scoffed as they entered an empty apartment, "Sure. We both know it's the other way round, mate. How was your summer?" The boy asked as he kicked back in his seat, flinging his legs up on the other seat in front of him. 

Ace came across as the laid-back, careless boy who was on the Quidditch team, a beater like his father and uncle before. He wasn't very academic, but that didn't mean he wasn't smart. He took after Fred in that aspect, much like much of his personality. There wasn't any doubt that he wasn't popular with girls and was very well known across the school. 

During the summer, Poppy had brought it up one evening, after dinner with the whole family for Ginny's birthday and there were many different reactions. The one that stood out the most was that of his mother's who had to excuse herself for a little while, his father following to check that she was okay. He, Teddy, Poppy, and Victoire all used a set of extendable ears to her, Ace worrying if it had upset her too much. He did worry a lot, despite being quite careless, he did worry and care a lot.  Apparently, it had reminded her of a boy named Cedric, who they later found out from George was one of Orion's close friends growing up, who also died during the Tri-Wizard tournament. Orion had reassured him that there was nothing wrong that and that she was just being silly. Thank Merlin!

"We saw each other during the summer!" Sam laughed, "Honestly, Ace you'd think you have the brain of a goldfish." Sam chucked a jelly bean at his head, "I raided the trolley as soon as I got on."

Ace rolled his eyes, expecting nothing less of his best friend. He picked the bean that a bounced off of his head and onto his lap and ate it, gagging. "Bleugh, it's vomit. You wanna know what I heard some first year say as I looked for you? She bloody commented on my arse, a bloody eleven-year-old! I fourteen for crying out loud!"

Sam rolled around in laughter, "You've got another fan."

Ace found himself rolling his eyes once again,  "Shut up."

* * *

Later on, that evening Ace and Sam were squashed up on a love seat in the Gryffindor common room, chocolate in their laps and the fire crackling. Elliot and Esme were taking up seats on the sofa opposite them, laughing and joking around, taking in the loveliness and cosiness of the common room that they would be using for the next seven years. 

"Ace, did you see the look on Jonathon Flint's face when Elliot and Esme were sorted. He looked as if he would pass out, all of one of his father's nemesis' children in Gryffindor! No doubt his da has spread crap about your mum and dad and uncle, he's probably scared shitless."

Raising his eyebrows, Ace nodded in agreement, "I think Minnie died and came back to life. I will thrash him in the first match against the snakes. Thankfully we're against Hufflepuff first, though, Teddy has been giving me stick about Quidditch all holidays, he beat me during a family match but that's only because he had Uncle Harry, Auntie Ginny and Uncle Charlie on his team, dad and Uncle George were annoying my nan so I only had Uncle Sirius and Uncle Bill, they're great but nothing compared to the others." 

"I'm telling them you said that," Elliot commented. 

"Elly, don't." Groaned Ace at his younger brother, "Otherwise I'll tell Pops, that you were the one to break her muggle CD of that muggle band, One Direction." Instantly Elliot squeaked and shut up, his hand covering his mouth as he shook his head vigorously. Esme giggled at her brothers but her eyes widened when Ace spoke once again, "I don't know why you're laughing, I know you were the one to put slime in mum's shampoo."

"Daddy told me too!" Esme cried, "He said she deserved it for waking him up in the night because she had stolen all of the covers."

Sam watched in amusement as the three quarrelled about who did what and who hasn't snitched, Poppy later joining in, helping the twins against Ace, as she dished out little things he had done in the previous year of school that his parents didn't know, such as snogging a girl named Ivy in a broom closest for a dare. 

"What even is this?" Sam muttered to himself as he placed another chocolate in his mouth and placed his legs across Ace's.

A/n-

Hey, guys, I hope you are enjoying this book so far, even though this is only the second chapter. 

I was just wondering if you wanted little oneshots of between Why? and this book. They would be published at the end of Why? Such as Ace as a baby or as a toddler etc. If so what kind of storylines do you want?