Chapter 5

The next day, Ace woke up early. He was a morning person but even this was early for him. Nobody else in his dormitory were awake. Sam was asleep on the floor by his bed probably falling asleep there whilst waiting for Ace to talk to him.

It was thankfully a Saturday so he slipped on his jeans that were folded at the bottom, a simple blue tee and a navy blue hoodie over the top. He had the hood up over his head and a denim jacket with a wool collar over the top of that. His mother had given him a muggle phone for his eleventh birthday much like the rest of his siblings so that they could communicate even easier with their parents whilst at Hogwarts, she had also given them each a set of headphones so that they could listen to music too. He slipped the headphones on and they were covered by his hood before exiting the dorm and descending to the common room.

A few students were already down their talking quietly, Poppy being one of them. Her eyes were bloodshot, matching Ace's and her cheeks red and puffy. He couldn't look at her. Not knowing that he had caused it. Instead, he exited the portrait hole and ran. He didn't know where he was running to but he ran until his lungs were screaming for air.

Slumping down a wall in the middle of the courtyard, Ace held his head between his knees and let the music take over. He was in his own world, the music shaping it, changing with each song. Music had always had a connection with the boy. It was something that allowed him to feel. To feel the emotions that he couldn't allow out of the box. It made him feel free, like a bird soaring high above the clouds, letting the wind flow through its feathers and the problems on the land below fade away as it flew further and further away.

It seemed like only a matter of mere seconds before Ace had a pair of arms around his shoulders. He didn't look up. Whoever it was could go away. The hold felt familiar yet he could not pin point it. He wasn't sure if they were saying anything, after all, he had music filling his ears, but he didn't care to check.

There was a slight tug on his hood and it fell from his head, fingers wrapped around the head phones and pulled the off too, so that they were resting on his collar bones. It was then that he glanced, only for two seconds, at who was with him. Sam was sat looking at him in confusion and sadness. He didn't say anything, he just held the boy close. Ace wanted to shrug him off and walk away but the feeling of his best friend holding him kept him on the ground and not like a kite drifting away from the situation.

"You okay?" Sam asked, this time only one arm around his shoulders as he leaned against the cold wall.

Ace didn't respond.

"If it makes you any better, Lyra from Ravenclaw, year above us really fancies you. I heard her friend Harriet saying so."

It didn't.

"Look, you might not want to talk but at least give me some signal to tell em you are okay. A nod? Thumbs up? Smile? Ace come on, this is not like you. Everyone has their little moments. Poppy, Elliot and Esme will understand. Poppy asked after you as I was leaving. She said you had already gone. I figured searching the whole school but I saw you from a window."

Ace gave his friend a thumbs up, yet he was lying, and Sam grinned. "Atta boy. Now, let's get some breakfast. You Weasley's eat for England."

Ace still didn't respond, he was hauled to his feet by his friend and dragged to the great hall. He tugged his headphones and hood back up and Sam didn't mind. He knew music would help him. Whenever Ace was sick, play music and he would feel better about lying in bed all day doing nothing. They entered the hall to find many students and teachers eating. They took their usual places on the bench and Ace leant on his elbow, pushing around his spoon in a bowl of cereal.

Upon seeing her brother, Poppy stood up and walked behind him, wrapping her arms around his shoulders, her head buried into the crook of his neck. Ace looked at her through the corner of his eyes and patted her hands. "Sorry." He mumbled and she shook her head. The boy wasn't sure what she had replied but her warmth soon disappeared as she left him to play with his food. The twins were sat opposite him, watching him like he was a show. They studied his every moment and how he was acting. Their parents had called them that night discussing the matter with them and Poppy and told them that it was probably just his hormones. ("He's at the age where his hormones are dancing in a club, just give him his space").

Ace could feel the four eyes on him and he looked up. His siblings looked a little shaken up but mostly happy and excited for the day. They were at that age where something new like Hogwarts never grew somber. "Sorry." He said, his voice hoarse and quiet. The shook their heads just like Poppy did and began to giggle and chat between themselves.

Sam still had his arm around Ace and one hand scooping cereal into his mouth, but he kept his friend close. Ace slowly ate a few mouthfuls of his food before standing up and letting Sam's arm drop to his side. He climbed over the bench and hurried out of the hall, not looking up at anyone, or looking where he was going. His body collided with that of Remus' pushing him to the ground. Remus helped him to his feet and smiled at him softly, a piece of chocolate in his hand as an offering. "Thanks." Mumbled a Ace taking it. "Sorry about yesterday."

No matter how many times he apologised and who he apologised too, Ace still felt no different to how he was when he first got up that morning. Sorry just wouldn't cut it. Nothing would. And nothing would change the way he felt.

But that's Ace.