Chapter 20: The Library

When we reached the library, which wasn't that far, I let go of his hand.

"Your sure know how to take charge," he commented, as while laughing.

"I take after my brother," I said smirking, and looking back at him.

I started walking around the library, admiring every single book. I had to remember though, just like yesterday, I have to find the second note. Just cause I am with Ethan, doesn't mean I can't look.

"So...what do you want to do?" I ask, as while spinning around to now face Ethan. I love the library. It made the manor feel like home.

"I don't know. Do you just want to sit and talk?" Ethan asked, with an adorable smile. I wouldn't mind talking to Ethan, even though I had a task at hand. That could wait until after Ethan.

We walked over to the big window, towards the back of the library. There was a pile of blankets in a basket, along with some pillows, so we grabbed some and sat on the floor near the window.

"It's nice finally being able to spend time with you," I said, while fluffing my pillow as we sat down together.

Ethan got himself situated as well and then said, "Yeah. I want to spend more time with you now though," he said looking up at me.

When Ethan said 'now,' it really stuck out to me. I felt like when Mark was around, Ethan didn't want to talk to me. Maybe it is important I address that. I noticed Ethan was gazing out the window, in his own little world I assume.

"Is it okay if I ask you something, Ethan?" I asked, as I looked out the window now too. I saw in the corner of my eye him still looking at the window.

"Yes?"

"Why did you act so odd when Mark was around?"

He turned back to me.

I could tell it wasn't what he expected me to ask.

"What do you mean?" As my head still faced the window, I looked at him out of the corner of my eye. I could tell he already knew the answer to what he just asked me.

"Oh I don't know," I said in almost a teasing way, "you just seemed off sometimes. Like when we first met. Or when we were at the ball. Or when I came in Mark's office to talk to him."

Ethan stopped looking at me, and looked back out the window like he was earlier. He just stared out there.

Is he thinking about something? I asked myself, wondering what might be on the boy's mind.

"Before you came, me and Mark had a talk," he said, emotionless. I was surprised he said it so bluntly.

A talk?'

I was about to ask for further explanation, but he started explaining himself.

"Around two months before you came, Mark was so happy and excited for you to arrive. I obliviously didn't know you so I didn't really show much expression, besides happy for him he would finally see you again."

He had a smile, almost an unnoticeable smile on his face.

"But then a month later from then, or a month ago from now, he began to act different...if that makes any sense."

I could tell what he meant by 'acting different' from the other stuff I have heard from Amy and such.

"And so one day, I was helping Mark with cleaning his office and just getting ready for your arrival. He was in a bad mood, so I thought maybe starting a conversation would help."