Chapter 22: What Then?

"It's fine Jack, I suppose I understand," I lied, "I am going to bed. See you tomorrow maybe."

I slowly, and awkwardly backed out of the room, trying to avoid eye contact with Jack. I knew he didn't mean any harm, he just got ahead of himself. Just like Mark did when he yelled at me.

I quickly scrambled out of the room, once I got near the door. I wanted to get out of the room as soon as possible, to avoid conflict between me and Jack.

I wasn't completely lying by telling him I had to go, however, the time I had spent early with Ethan was time consuming. Plus, I needed rest for tomorrow.

Tomorrow is the day.

I remember a half a week ago, when I told myself, 'Today's the day,' while walking into the Manor, I had no idea of what was ahead of me. Now I knew.

Tomorrow is the day I find the final note.

As I walked up the stairs to my room in the manor, I gently brought my fingertips to the wall, stroking it as thus. I felt as if my eyes should be anywhere but the wall, but here they are, viewing the wall as I stroked it up the stairs.

I felt so calm, so comfortable... right here, right now. But underneath all the layer of calmness and collectedness, was laying nervousness. And the worst part is, I didn't know why.

What would happen once I find the final note? What would I do then?

My questioning was suddenly ended once I reached the top of the stairs. I walked into my room, and dived straight for my bed. Not to mention, I also closed my door for privacy. Not that anyone would come, after all.

Ever since Mark died, it felt so lonely in the Manor. It felt like one puzzle piece missing to a huge puzzle. Even though its small, it changes the whole perspective of the puzzle. And somehow now I am trying to find that puzzle piece that I lost.

My eyes suddenly felt heavy, as I dosed off into slumber.

"Good morning, (Y/N)."

I fluttered my eyes awake, squinting at the bright sun pitching itself into my room.

"Good morning to you as well, Kathryn." Kathryn was on the other side of the bed, folding clothes of mine. I haven't seen Kathryn really work since Mark passed. Maybe she felt bad for not working, even after Mark passed.

"Not to be rude, but why are you in here?" Kathryn kept walking around my room, tidying stuff up. My eyes never left her, even though she wasn't paying any sorts of attention towards me.

"I was helping you get ready for today. I hope that doesn't bother you." Kathryn continued to clean and pick up my room, avoiding eye contact with me even when she said that.

"No, it doesn't bother me, its just you haven't been really cleaning my room since Mark passed."

Kathryn was bending down to pick up a towel, but then froze. She must of been surprised with my straightforwardness. Kathryn slowly got back up from her frozen position and turned to me.

"Well yes, of course I haven't. I am full aware. I just- I mean- I just thought you might want some help before you leave back." She offered me a smile. It was fake though, it was like the type of smile a stranger gives you in public.

"Alright. Thank you." She simply nodded, and turned back to her duty.

"Kathryn?" I asked, stoping her turn.

"Yes?"

"Can I ask you something?" She raised a eyebrow slightly.

"Of course."