Chapter 21

(I'm back, my lovely children!!)

Avery's POV

Why am I so infatuated with this girl?

Even just watching the way that Jasmine starred at her ripped tiny, unnoticeable holes in my heart.

I hated the thought of seeing her with someone greater than me in almost every single way. Jasmine had the looks, the charisma, the intelligence.

"So tell me a bit about yourself." Jasmine smiled lightly, digging into her plate without bothering to make eye contact with me for even a second.

"Err, I mean.." I looked up over to her, setting the rest of my food over to the middle of the table. "I'm an introvert, I absolutely adore reading... and uh, I guess that's about it."

I simply shrugged, continuing. "I'm not very interesting, when I'm not with Alex or at work I just sit down in my bedroom reading like some weird, lazy hermit."

Which was basically half true. I didn't really have the time to do much else, considering that my job takes up a pretty big chunk of my free time.

Jasmine nodded, gesturing for me to continue. "What do you like about reading?"

"It's almost an escape in a way. A safe place. A place where I can go at any time of day, to any type of world I please." I shrugged awkwardly, darting my eyes up at the ceiling. "Usually a world I can place my trust in to.

"Interesting... So you like writing as well?"

"Why are you interrogating me?" The words slipped out my lips quickly, before I was able to properly answer. "Sorry, no. I don't like writing. Every time I try to, I just ending up starring at a blank page for hours. It's just not very interesting to me."

Which was a lie. I just can't trust myself writing.

Jasmine looked up from her plate, and looked back down in less than a few seconds. "Sorry... I didn't mean to make you uncomfortable."

Was I being rude? I really didn't want to be.

I wanted to get out of this situation in the quickest way possible.

"Sorry... You like writing I assume? If so, I guess writing is okay." 

Jasmine shook her head slightly, with a smile on her face. The action itself had managed to confuse me.

Everything after that went completely silent. Similar to the moment prior to this one.

-=+=-

It hadn't even been the afternoon as yet, but Alex had ready been curled up like a little burrito under the blanket.

"Are you tired, angel?" I placed my pair of glasses on, to view her expression.

"Angel?" Alex stretched, chuckling lightly. "Of course I'm not tired, I'm more so sleep deprived. Angel. "

She paused, looking over to me. "That does give me an idea for a poem though..."

"You write poetry?"

"...Stranded. Lost. Locked away from such a common leisure."

"Urmm.." I took a seated next to her, awkwardly looking up at the ceiling. "English please."

"Where can one find a key, when they are left such a place? A remote island built up of their very own poisonous thoughts."

Avery looked over to me, lightly squeezing my hand. "I'll finish it off later."