Chapter 26

"I have to go." I mumbled. "I'm going to be late otherwise." I had about thirty minutes to get to work.

Avery groaned lightly, before leaning on the arm of the couch. "Fine."

I couldn't help but feel Avery's gaze linger on me as I buttoned up my shirt, and pulled on a pair of jeans. "Do I look alright?"

"Yes." Avery nodded, folding her legs.

"No, I mean. Do I look like teacher material?" I raised an eyebrow, tying my hair up in a bun.

"Yeah, you look great. Highly professional." Avery yawned with a sigh.

"In that case, I should probably get going."

"Alright, have a nice day." Avery waved, opening the door for the two of us.

Even though I'd been running extremely late, I made sure to watch Avery pull off first before walking away.

I held my bag on my shoulder, glancing up at the clouds as my feet swiftly moved along the sidewalk.

-=+=-

"Thank goodness." I huffed lightly with a sigh after placing my bag on the side of the desk. The classroom was practically empty by the time I got there. "Good morning." 

Tamara had been seated nonchalantly behind her desk chair, with one of her legs crossed over the other.

Tamara placed her pen down, raising her head up as she looked back over to me. "Ah, Good morning Alexandra." She let out a quiet yawn, before taking a sip of coffee.

"How are so used to waking up this early?" I sat down in my plastic hair, making sure to push myself up so I didn't look like I was slouching back.

"Tough question." Tamara chuckled lightly, shaking her head. "I don't think I have an answer for that."

"True, True." I looked back over to the door after seeing a couple more students shuffle inside. Some seemed to be talking among their peers. "We're doing cross-hatching and the other two methods today, right?"

"Pretty much. You don't have to do too much talking this class if you don't want to. Just don't fall asleep." Tamara shrugged, before standing up from out of her seat and walking over to the chalkboard.

Even though it had only really been my second day working here, most of the kids didn't seem to mind me too much. It was pretty fun so far, but I knew that after a month or so it'll begin probably drive me insane.

The day flew by pretty quickly as well. It was my lunch break. I pulled open the door to the teacher's lounge before plopping down at one of the empty seats.

"Alex! It's a pleasure to see you again." Rebecca flew over from across the room, sitting down across from me. "What are you having for lunch?"

Ah, socialization. What a joyous experience.

"Same to you. Rebecca, isn't it? Not sure. I think my girlfriend is bringing me something in a little while." I sank down into the chair and glanced over at my phone.

"Girlfriend? I didn't know you were into females." Rebbecca grinned, setting down her lunch bag next to some papers she seemed to be reviewing. "Just call me Becca."

"Don't teachers refer to each other by their last names or something like that?" I didn't mean to come off as rude, but I really wasn't in the mood to speak to anyone.

"Not necessarily. Makes this job a hell of a lot easier to chat with the staff." Rebecca nodded, taking a sip of water. "Especially with some of the attractive ones."

"I guess that makes sense." I nodded. "How long have you been working here?"

"Only about a year or so." Rebecca shrugged.

"That's interesting." My phone buzzed, causing a slight vibration in my pocket. "I'll be back."

-=+=-

"Hey, Emmy. what did you need?" I asked my sister, after closing the door behind her.

"Nice apartment." Emily hummed. "Thanks for calling back earlier, this is really important."

"No problem."  I shrugged, sitting near the arm of my couch. "Have a seat. What is it? Is mom out of the hospital as yet?"

"Yeah, she's staying at my place for a little while... but like." Emily paused. "You know how the hospital said it was an accident and everything? I think it was slightly on purpose. I had a chat with mum, she's still a little out of it, but she admitted a few things."

I raised an eyebrow. "Like what?"

"There's... a lot of shit happening. I can't explain it." She held her head.

"That's really vague. Can you elaborate, please?" I asked.

"Remember dad? He visited me earlier. I couldn't quite understand what he was saying though. But it had something to do with him." Emily nodded.

My eyes widened. "Oh shit, really?"

"Of course, really. I wouldn't joke about something like this." Emily sighed. "Second to that, what happened to the girlfriend you had? I heard some news and I'm hoping it wasn't about her."

"I just talked with her earlier, why?" I nodded.

"Yikes. Alright, well I heard she assaulted someone. I don't really know if it's true or not yet, but she possibly could be arrested." Emily nodded.

"Has to be the wrong person. Thank you for telling me though. It's really been long since the last time we got to chat." I smiled. A part of me knew that it could be true, but I decided to stick with my disbelief. Since the truth was in most cases difficult to handle. "Anything else?"

"Those are the two major things. Now I don't know if they're connected in some way, but I know that some serious things went down." Emily sighed.

"Alright. Just have a seat, okay? I'll get you some tea and we can catch up on other things." I didn't feel like dealing with anything serious at the moment since I figured I'd have to do it the next day.