Chapter 30

Sometimes your mind can create the worst version of something. 

Sometimes it can take a single bad memory and turn it into fifty of them. 

My dad was smiling that morning. A warm, gentle smile.

My mum was clean. Why wouldn't she be?

They were happy. 

I brushed my messy hair from out of my face before I pulled my bike from out of the garage. 

"Are Eli and your friend coming over today?" Sarah beamed over at me, grabbing up her scooter. 

"Yeah. They always come over on Saturdays," I hummed, hopping on to the seat of my bike. 

"Yay! They're really fun to play with," She responded, looking at her scooter before she put it back down. "Wait, wanna race?"

"I'm okay," I shook my head. 

"Please??"

"Look, how about you just run around and I'll watch you make sure nothing happens?" I pedalled forward with the bike and turned to look back at her. 

"... I'll just find something else to do."

"Maybe tomorrow okay? But when Jasmine and Eli come over we could watch a Disney movie."

Sarah didn't run around the yard, but she was still outside. She was still outside and I wasn't watching her. 

Things happened so quickly. One thing led to another and I saw her by the road, looking through a book. 

Dad turned the corner with my cousin and my best friend in his car, he picked them up that morning for us. He was smiling ear-to-ear, telling the two about his favourite Disney classic. 

No one in the car saw her. 

"Sarah, move!!" I yelled over at her. She looked up at me in confusion. 

It was too late. 

"You didn't cause it. It wasn't your fault, you didn't see her. Dad should have been watching the road."

"She shouldn't have been on the road in the first place. What dumbass lets her sister sit out on the road?" I scoffed, feeling hot tears drip down my cheeks. 

"You were seven. Mom should have been outside with you two."

"So now you're blaming her??"

"I'm not blaming anyone, Al. But things happen, and some things just really suck. We can cry about it, but I think we should embrace the present and learn from our mistakes. Everything happens for a reason and that will never happen again." 

"I have nightmares about it," I mumbled. "Almost every night."

"And the only way to stop having those is to let go of the past. Let mum back into our lives. Maybe try to sit down and have a talk with dad if we can get in contact with him. We can fix things while we still can."

I sighed. "That makes sense."

"Now, I've got somewhere to go, but I'll call you tomorrow if you're not busy."

"Anytime before five."

She said a quick 'see you later' before hanging up the phone. I slid my phone into my pocket before glancing over at my canvas. 

Despite the conversation, I didn't feel upset. I didn't feel angry or confused, but I just felt hopeful? Like I'd just closed a door, and a new one was about to open up.