Chapter 23

Avery's POV

"Head up, dear." My mother lightly tapped my shoulder. 

I groaned lightly, rubbing my shoulder. "I'm tired mom."

"You can always get rest later, today's quite a busy day for us, and I'm sure you wouldn't like to walk around looking like a coward." She sighed, lightly pushing me in front of her. 

"That's stupid." I mumbled lightly.

"Was that a mumble I heard, Bailey? Youngs do not mumble, sweetie."  My mother said, placing a kiss on my forehead.

"Alright, I won't do it again." I nodded, faking a smile.

"Good." My mother smiled, continuing to walk. Her heels tapping lightly against the sidewalk. "You have a photo shoot today I believe, after they're over I'll buy you some ice cream, alright?"

Three photo shoots in exchange for an ice cream cone? Fair deal.

"No can do." I shook my head. "Not unless you throw in some sprinkles and one of those little stickers they sell on the countertop."

"Cute." My mother chuckled, before having her smile quickly fade away. "Come on dear, we have no time to waste."

"Yes, ma'am." I sighed, looking directly in front of me like she instructed.

-=+=-

I yawned, lightly stretching out of my covers as glared up at my plain white ceiling.

I pulled my notebook off of my dresser and scrabbled down a few notes on my schedule.

After a few minutes, I stretched once more, making my way to the bathroom.

A light groan left my throat as I got into the warm shower. I needed to shower quickly if I wanted to remain punctual.

Quietly, I dressed in some sweats, making sure to tie my hair back.

"Alright." I said to myself quietly, sitting down at my desk to skim through my emails.

Someone wanted me to promote some weird back brace in exchange for exposure?

Aha, no. I'm going to have to decline that one.

I looked down at my cellphone and sent a text to Alexandra.

"Okay, Miss photographer. Any specific look I have to go to today the studio? :3 -Me"

I got a reply back almost instantly.

"I'm not going in today. I don't think I'll be able to focus. -Alex <3"

"Wait, really? -Me"

After that, I didn't get a response.

Alex was probably just a tired, I'd be too in her position.

-=+=-

I sighed lightly, knocking on Alex's apartment door. 

"I brought you some lunch." I smiled after seeing her pull open the door. Damn, I loved seeing her face. 

Her eyes this time were slightly dimmer than usual.

"Oh, you did? Thanks." Alex yawned lightly, allowing me to enter inside. 

"You don't seem too excited, is my cooking that bad?" I laughed lightly, setting the container on the coffee table. 

Alex flicked her television back on, before taking a seat on her couch. "It's pretty good... but it's just healthy. Extremely healthy." Alex laughed as well, but not the usual laugh you'd gift when amused. Just the kind that echoed through your throat when you wanted there to be some noise present.

I sat down next to her awkwardly. I knew there had to have been something wrong, but I just didn't know how to handle it. 

"Is there something upsetting you, babe? I'm sorry I didn't come a little earlier today, I got caught up in some work and different things." 

"Bailey, everything in my life isn't centred around you." Alex answered, closing her eyes. I was a little shocked at her little shocked at her response. I tried to throw off my uneasiness with a cough.

"Sorry about that." I glanced over at Alex, reluctantly leaning my head on her shoulder. "You can always talk to me when you need to, alright?" Barely a whisper left my throat. 

"I'm sorry, I didn't mean for that to come off so rudely." Alex ran her fingers through my hair, and brought them down to my cheek.

"It's alright. What type of girlfriend would I be if I couldn't take your venting?" I placed a kiss on her hand.

Alex sighed, looking at me. Occasionally taking a few glances down at my lips. 

"Here." A quiet chuckle left my throat. I pulled her closer to me and wrapped my right arm around her waist, capturing her soft lips with mine. 

My entire body tensed up as I felt Alex's thumb lightly brush my cheek, gradually leaning into the kiss. Her touch made me feel a slight tingle in my stomach.

After countless seconds passed I retracted, making sure to catch my breath.

"Thank you." Alex said breathlessly. She placed another quick kiss on my lips. 

I watched in satisfaction as a grin carved its way unto her face. 

"Your smile is perfect." I looked back up into her eyes. 

 Alex chuckled. "Thank you." She repeated. 

"Probably not the best time to ask this, but are those contacts?" I pointed up to my eyes.

"Nope. I wish they were though." Alex nodded.

"Really?? Why? I think they're quite stunning."

"Unique, yes." Alex smiled. "But they make me look like a weird weird anime character. I wish they were just blue, like my mother's."

"Anime characters are awesome though! With uh, those big sword things and outfits!"

"Perfect, maybe one day I could start dressing up like my abstract art pieces! Then after that, I could steal all your clothes and carry them in a little sack with me everywhere I go to dress like the Grinch!" Alex laughed sarcastically.

"Uhh..." I didn't know whether to laugh or be concerned.

Alex pecked my check. "All I'm really saying is that they're a bit impractical. I'd be much more happy with a pair of stunning, common brown eyes."

I nodded. "I see your point. That does make sense."

"Once more question." I turned to face Alex.

"Have I ever told you about my insecurities?"