Three

He sleeps and doesn't dream but he wakes up the next morning feeling more tired than he had over the past week. He supposes the bags under his eyes are prominent and concerning but honestly, who's going to see them and be worried enough to mention them? He shrugs to himself in the mirror, gets dressed, and walks downstairs.

To his surprise, Corey and Aaron are down there and sitting at the table, talking and laughing. Sam remembers a time when it was him and Colby doing that. He pushes away the bitter tang in his mouth and smiles in greeting.

Corey does a double take. "Dude, you look like shit."

Sam rolls his eyes and digs out a water bottle. He's decided he's actually not hungry. "Gee, thanks man."

"What Corey means to say," Aaron attempts, "is you look sick. You're pale and...have you been sleeping?"

Sam nods. They give him disbelieving looks and he raises his hands. "Honest. I got like, five hours last night. I'm good."

They don't push. They should, Sam thinks, but they don't and he's thankful. He makes it to his room with any other encounters and he's just settled in front of his laptop when someone knocks then cracks his door open. He doesn't turn around, he knows who it is already. Only one person knocks then opens the door immediately.

"Can we make a Sam and Colby video?"

Sam doesn't have the heart to let his disbelief show in his face so he turns around with a bright smile. He hides his confusion in his blue eyes and prays that Colby doesn't look at him hard enough. If that happens, Sam thinks he'll fall apart.

"Sure," he agrees. "Any ideas?"

Colby shrugs and scuffs the floor with his toes. He looks lost, Sam notes. He's not sure how that makes him feel. Colby looks up. "I don't wanna do an exploration video. Lets go back in time a little and make some stupid dare video."

This time, Sam struggles to tuck away his doubt and he thinks Colby notices because the brunette straightens and looks slightly sheepish. Sam waves his best friend over and pulls his laptop over onto the bed. Colby sits beside him awkwardly and Sam settles for this because he knows Colby won't give him any more.

"So what sort of dare do you wanna make a video around?" Sam asks, pretending for the both of them that this is okay, this is still normal. He doesn't comment when he feels Colby relax slightly.

"Something light and easy and natural. Something where we can make fun of ourselves."

Sam surfs Twitter and YouTube comments until he finds something. "Should we just stick to simple?"

"Like what?"

Sam shows him the screen with a smirk. "Try Not To Laugh challenge." Colby huffs a laugh and Sam raises an eyebrow. "You would've lost if we were playing."

Before things had changed, Colby would've made a smart ass response and they'd both be grinning like idiots. Sam has to remind himself that he isn't in the past and he has to adapt and grow with the changes. He ignores the small pangs of sadness and nostalgia.

They set up the camera, set up their faces and set up each other. It's hard and it's complicated and Sam doesn't like it but it's the closest he and Colby have come to normal so he sits down and shuts up.

"What's up guys? It's Sam and Colby!"

The words send flames through Sam's body and his smile becomes genuine and suddenly he has energy. He doesn't know about Colby but this is the most alive he's felt in a very long time.

They laugh and they joke and it's nice. Sam reckons it's the most fun he's had in a while. None of his grins are forced, nothing feels forced, it's perfect. The two of them are perfect in that moment and Sam just wants to keep that moment in his heart forever.

They finish recording and Colby flops back on Sam's bed, rubbing his eyes. Sam watches him fondly then returns his attention to the camera and laptop, deciding to edit as quick as he can.

When his eyes wanders back to the brunette next to him, Colby is asleep and Sam is at ease. It's all perfect.